My bees swarmed?

No eggs present. The queen cells are capped. I looked in Sunday evening.

Then your colony has swarmed. Its a bit difficult advising you to leave just the one cell, which is what you should do really, unless you have another hive to rescue this one should your new queen fail to emerge/mate.
Be aware that you risk losing another swarm if you leave two.
If you’re not interested in honey this year you could split the hive into two, each with a queen cell. One split in the same place as the hive is now with a frame of brood and one queen cell. The other split with all the rest of the brood, moved at least three feet away.
If one fails you can always reunite them.
When I asked when you looked in last I mean the time before you noticed all this.

2 weeks Pryor to yesterday

Dee, why won’t the bees store that honey in the honey super???

Did you wax your Flow frames, @Chrisb53? If yes, take a look at this thread:

Despite what you are seeing, your bees may also be making winter preparations now. When that happens in my hives (as it is now), then tend to move honey down into the brood boxes, not store it higher up in the honey supers. :wink:

Weekly inspections are the order of the day during swarming season.
If you can’t inspect weekly, clipping your queen will give you ten days.
I don’t know if queen clipping is popular where you are. It certainly is here in the UK where there are so many beekeepers and so many disgruntled homeowners with unwanted bees in their roofs

I would leave both cells and check back in 2 weeks to see if there is room to lay.

I had read that about smearing wax or bur comb on the flow frames but didn’t think I needed to do that because before the swarm I had lots of bees all over the frames waxing, sealing everything up. Now I have a few bees starting to come up into the frames again. Maybe it’s just not going to happen this year. In watching the bees returning to the hive, I see lots of pollen being brought in and there is a lot of nectar being brought in because there is tons of honey in the hive. There are lots of bees fanning to. I also noticed some bearing on the bottom of a couple of the frames. Should I have the core flute slider in the top or bottom slot in this hot weather?

I keep mine in the top slot at all times. It helps the bees be more efficient at ventilating their hive when fanning. It is one of their jobs and they are good at it. :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks beemoney, that is also where I keep mine.

1 Like

Well, I just walked outside to watch the bees ant there are lots of bees on the landing board. The airport is running well. Lots of bees landing bringing in nectar and plenty taking off. I was also pleasantly suprised to see that the honey super was full. But… this is the behavior i remember seeing right before they swarmed. Maybe they are getting ready to move honey up into the super which would make room for a new queen to start producing little dudes. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

1 Like

So you have two brood boxes and then the honey super right?

Yes, 2 brood boxes then the honey super.

1 Like

If the bees are in the supers but not really doing anything, they could be holding small hive beetles hostage up there

Actually, they are hurried in those cells waxing away the breaks in the comb cells.