New here from ohio

How often should I do hive inspections. I had some bur comb building up that I probly shoulve cleaned up and really hurried through the first inspection. Just wondered when I should venture in again?

1 Like

Great question! Tough to answer at this time of year too. :blush:

The general thought is that when you have a strong nectar flow, you should try to inspect every week or so to prevent swarming and assess for disease etc.

When the nectar flow dries up, you really only need to inspect if you have a question to answer. Such as, do they have adequate food? Even then, you should only do it on a sunny day when there is little wind and the temperature is above about 68F. Bees get very stressed if you open the hive in cold, windy weather.

All bees make burr comb, and I have never been able to train a hive not to do it! :rofl: I wouldn’t go into to the hive in Fall just to tidy it up. They will just rebuild it anyway.

2 Likes

I’m finished with inspections for the season here in PA. I’ll pop the lid up now and then to check on feed but won’t open it all the way up til first spring inspection. We still have some warmish days but they’re decreasing, plus what Dawn said - not much to look for & can only sit back now and hope everything I did helps them through :+1:

3 Likes

Congratulations!
Wish you all the best👍

Welcome. I’m in Ohio too. My first year. I’m near Pymatuning reservoir.