New to Bees, Flow Hive 7

Erika,

No sweat ! Only dumb questions are the ones not asked but wondered about ! Keep em coming … Don’t get your back up against a wall with no escape !

. Waiting for a Swarm that’s why I
have a single box on my roof !

Whip em on us,
Gerald

Gerald

If you don’t know the answer to your question then it is not silly. Bee keeping is dependent a lot on you knowing what you are doing to be successful as a bee keeper. Experience is gained by asking a question first and then applying what you have been advised.
The reason most of us are on the forum is to pass on knowledge to beginners and to ‘bounce ideas’ about, we are all still learning, that part of bee keeping never ends.
Welcome to the forum…:grinning:

I purchased another brood box. With the first one, we had a beekeeper come out with the wax sheets. I’d like to source out my own. Where can I buy some?

Thank you,

Erika Tobin

C-Net Systems, Inc.

586-816-0015

etobin@cnetsys.com

www.cnetsys.com

Those “wax sheets” are officially known as foundation. :blush: Any beekeeping supplies place will have them, but you need to choose the ones which are correct for the style of frame you are using, or the foundation may not sit securely in the frame.

I use these frames (9 1/8" is a deep frame):
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/hive-components/frames/unassembled-frames/wedge-top-split-bottom-bar-with-holes-in-endbars/unassembled-select-grade-frames-groove-top-bottom-case-of-10

and this foundation:
https://www.kelleybees.com/foundation-for-deep-frames-d-hooks.html

Read the instructions on how to assemble the frames, and make sure that you trap the wires using the wedge in the top bar (you have to split it off, then nail it back to the frame, trapping the foundation behind it). If you want to wire the foundation horizontally, I would watch some youtube videos - too much detail to discuss here.

One more thing, as this forum is publicly searchable (including by spam bots), I would remove your contact information from the post above. :wink:

The wax foundation is not just a matter of ‘sliding them in’ so do some research on YouTube and if you still want to do it maybe a local bee group has the gear you will need and hire or loan it out to members. If you can find a local bee group they are a source of good local information and hands on learning.
As Dawn says, remove your personal contact info.
Regards

Thanks again!
I’m attending a beekeeper group meeting tonight. :slight_smile:

2 Likes