New to Honey Bees

Hey everyone… I am new to bee keeping and new to the forum! Just wanted to say hello. My bees are super active outside the hive today it is hot and humid… a lot are just flying around but there are still foragers coming and going… is this anything I need to worry about?
Thanks
Joe

1 Like

It could be bees doing orientation flights, a practice swarm or a fair dinkum swarm.

2 Likes

That reminds me of the first time I saw my hive swarm. Against the tsunami of bees emerging there were foragers returning with pollen battling to get in.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff… I am very confident that it was orientation flights… I watched them for about 20 min (very relaxing). And then went inside… I went back out today and it was back to normal just the foragers constantly coming and going… Thanks for the answer!

2 Likes

No worries Joe, just be aware that at some point the bees will swarm. Just keep an eye on that.

2 Likes

I always have a hive made up and ready to be used. It is invaluable if a swarm occurs or if you decide to do a preemptive split of your hive. There is a lot to gain for you by having 2 hives rather than one and maintaining it doesn’t take that much extra time.
Welcome to the forum, lots of help and advise here.

1 Like