Newly installed Flow Super

(Ontario Canada) Three new nucs this year. One 4 weeks ago, two 3 weeks ago. This weekend I added the Flow Supers to all three Broodboxes. (Eight to nine frames populated, cup cells and lots of Drone larvae).

Took a quick peek this evening.
Question : in the photo, are they waxing up the Flow?

1 Like

Welcome Phil to the forum. I’m in Lasalle Ontario, just outside Windsor. Looks like they are exploring the cells and it is hard to tell what they might be doing but your guess is probable. The honey flow is on for us down here. In your area are you in the flow too?

As you can see the gaps in the horizontal part of the cells they are not sealing the cells with wax Phil. The bees will only work on the super when they need the space to store nectar after the brood box has at least 80% of the cells on the brood frames in use for brood and stores. I’m a bit surprised a nuc needed a super after being installed for 3 weeks. How did you assess the super was needed?
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Peter,
8 to 9 frames were full (eggs, larvae, pupa, pollen, honey etc.) an increase of Drone and drone brood and cup cells too.

That all sounds good Phil, the bees will need to get busy sealing the Flow cells.
Keep an eye on the queen cells, if they only half make them then they are just ‘play queens cells’ and not get used. I used to knock them down but found in a day or two the bees had made new ones. Seems they like the idea of having a few in the brood area.
Cheers

1 Like

Hey Phil, how very exciting to put your Flow super on for the first time! It does take a while for the bees to fully wax the cells up and I don’t see any there yet, but it’s just one snap from the very outer frame face. There could well be more progress toward the center. By the bees’ head-in posture I’d be willing to bet that waxing those cells is exactly what they’re doing! Did you rub any wax on the frames beforehand? If not, see if you can give them a quick pass with a chunk of burr comb you might snag during inspection of the brood area. It makes a huge difference in getting more bees up there and working.

Just keep an eye on the local flow conditions and check frequently to be sure the bees don’t begin to propolize those frames instead. That will be obvious dark reddish brown deposits along the cell seams, indicating they regard the F super as too much space.

Keep us posted on progress! :blush::+1:

3 Likes

Thanx Peter.
I visit the Apairy every day excited to see the Flows get worked.
Yes I did wax the frames from some cappings I had collected last year. If you look carefully, you’ll should be able to see it in the photo.
Good point on the propolis. How would one prevent it. (The brood box is now close to 90% full)
We have a good nectar flow going on right now with Clover, Asters etc :grin:.
I took another shot today. It’s not much different than yesterday. You can see where the molton wax I added is thicker on the raised part of the frame.

2 Likes

I see the wax on the ends of the cells, that will be a help for the bees to fill in the gaps in the cells and save a heap of time. Must be a good flow of nectar and pollen in your area to have the colony build up so quickly.
A very mild ‘Winter’ here and the bees think it is Spring already with heaps of nectar in the bush. A lot of rain of a night and warm clear days to 75F which is about as cold as it gets here.
Cheers Phil

2 Likes

No worries if the bees are already waxing - they won’t put it in cells unless they have no plans to store nectar.

1 Like

Excellent, thanx Eva.

1 Like

Day four and they’re doing it… GREAT… I’m ecstatic 20200701_161210|243x500

Hey Tim and thank you.
Yes we’re in a honey flow. They’re very buzy taking advantage. I’m south of Barrie (5 kl/m from Dickie Bee assuming you know them). Today I see there’s lot of activity and the temp is pushing mid 30’s. Some bearing too.

1 Like

Cheers Eva. I’ll take a look in the centre on the weekend. That’ll give um a week to get their act together, lol. :laughing:

Day 6…

2 Likes

Looking good Billy Ray! :rofl:

Cheers Dawn_SD
It’s exciting for sure.

It’s now two weeks (I think… Lost track)

2 Likes

Amazing!! So excited for you Phil :+1:

Thanx Eva. It is pretty cool eh.

21 days after installing the Super.

3 Likes