No honey in supers

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My new flow hive broad boxes are full of broad and bees. They eeven swarmed already. the honey supers re crawling with bees but they are not making honey in the supers. there is honey in the broad boxes too. My 2 regular hives are overflowing with honey.
I keep ckecking to make sure the cells are set right and they are.
What could I be doing wrong?

Hi Leslie, welcome to the forum. I don’t think that you’re doing anything wrong. I have always found that bees don’t like working on plastic, unless it’s coated with wax. Sometimes bees go straight into Flow frames, & as it seems, other times they don’t. I don’t use Flow frames, however others in my area do. No one near me uses double brood boxes as far as I know, & it appears that bees go straight into using Flow frames, when single brood boxes are used, in our sub-tropical climate.

One thing you could try is using traditional frames in the middle of the Flow super, especially frames that are currently being worked by your other colonies. If the bees start working those frames, they might start using the Flow frames adjacent to them.

After a while, as the bees start using the Flow frames, you should be able to remove the traditional frames.

That’s my thoughts, cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the advise jeff. I will give it a try

1 Like