Normal Bearding? — has been happening for months

I’ve been visiting this hive for a number of months and there has been an increasing number of bees on the outside of the hive as the weather warms up. I’ve been expecting the hive to split but this hasn’t happened. Is this normal? I’ve never seen so many hanging out outside a hive before.

1 Like

Yes - I’m sure it’s pretty hot under that metal roofing!

Take up the roof and cut it out and put into boxes. Even if the colony swarms and divides there will still be a colony under that roof, which is less than ideal.

1 Like

Wow, I take it the building is uninhabited by humans? That’s a decent cutout job…

Have you got more photos?

Well, uninhabited by any living humans. The roof of of a crypt last used in the early 1900s. I’ll swing past later and get another photo.

I basically wanted to know if any intervention is required. I assumed the hive was about to split months ago but it hasn’t.

Do you mean swarm? Splitting is a form of intervention by humans. Swarming is a natural process, but half the colony remains.

Or ‘split’ as in leave? Looks they are staying for good… are they a nuisance to anybody?

1 Like