Novice or beginner bee keeping

Thankyou. We will have a go.

Hi, we have set up the outside of the brood box and the basic frames but how do you make the frames stable? Do you use the small packet of nails and if so where do you put the nails into the frame?

Hi, thanks for the video, but it seems the yellow boards (at 2.59) have not come in our package. What are they called? Did you receive these with the full flow hive or do we have to buy them separately? (sorry for the late reply. We have slow wifi here)

@poppyandsally Those are Plastic Foundation, you can use wax foundation or as I did wax starter strips.

You buy the foundation from your local bee suppliers

First thing - I’m a newbie like you poppyandsally, so feel free to ignore everything I say!

From what I’ve seen you can use foundation or choose not to. Stu and Cedar seem to suggest not using anything as it is a more natural approach for the brood box. Others suggest using either a plastic or wax foundation.

I think that the workers and the drones get a different foundation (not 100% clear on that one). I just put mine together over the weekend and deployed it with a swarm attractant (fingers crossed for some warm weather!). Let me know if you have any specific questions. :smile:

@poppyandsally, How did you go with your brood box? Have you managed to install some wax or plastic foundation into the frames? Also, seeing you are in pittwater, have you managed to get into a local beekeeping club. Your closest is Terrey Hills, we did a Flow Hive demonstration and Q&A there yesterday. If you are new to beekeeping, I would suggest you use wax foundation in your frames to prevent any cross comb, you want nice straight comb to make inspections simple without breaking the brood when pulling out your frames. Also, depending on how your bees arrive, you may need a feeder to get the bees established, they need ready carbohydrates(sugar water) to produce all that wax. Hornsby beekeeping is your closet store for supplies.

Hi Rodderick, I spent the time I could have been at that field day building the brood box! I was at the opening of the club the week before, and they mentioned the field day but not that there would a flow hive demo. To tell the truth, I was feeling a little disgruntled by the general reaction when I said I was a newbie with a flow hive! Was planning to get back to them when I knew more about what we are doing! I am glad you recommend wax foundation (I cant see that product at Hornsby Beekeeping website?)
We are picking up a bee package and queen at Hornsby next weekend, so have not been to the actual store yet.
The brood box is constructed, but not the frames.
Remaining calm,
Sally

Sorry to hear that, we have quite a few Flow Hive beekeepers in the club, and I hope that we can get a Flow hive for educational and demonstration purposes in the near future. The club has spent a lot of money getting a new site and up to this point the hives are owned by members. We have a Xmas Party and fund raising BBQ coming up soon, I would suggest you come along and get to know to know the younger people, you’ll find all sorts in beekeeping. As for your frames, I have just posted a How To Guide in Basic Beekeeping for assembling frames using nails. Its generally very simple once you have done it a few times.
http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/assembling-a-simple-frame/3922

This will surely help us, thanks ! We will definitely come along to the next event at Terrey Hills.

Wax foundation from Hornsby is available here =>
http://hornsby-beekeeping.com/wax/

Considering you are buying a package, can I suggest you buy your frames wax and wired ready-to-go, this will save you a lot of frustration. Not everyone will agree with me (and thats OK). Unless you have done it before, installing wax can be a little tricky. You will find ready to go frames here =>
http://hornsby-beekeeping.com/bee-frames-full-depth-wired-and-waxed/

And for installing your bees with a minimun of fuss
http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/installing-package-bees-without-shaking-or-smoke/1508?source_topic_id=3326

1 Like

Yippee :slight_smile: I agree with you - frames all ready done sounds great…I just spoke with Ian Savins at NSBK - he is posting out membership form. He asked if I have a beetle trap in the flow hive …I looked but I am not sure…would you please advise…? (And I am reading Doug Purdie’s book, but slowly)
Thank you Thank you …:slight_smile:

Next time you are at one of the meetings ask for me, Rod or Keith, we can help you with mentoring and make sure you have everything you need. Doug has written a great book and also has a Flow Hive setup in the Sydney Bee club. I suggest you also read the following book for some practical beekeeping advice with your hive. Its a free publication (to download) put out by the Australian Government.
https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/items/14-098

Hive Beetles are public bee enemy number one, your bottom board screen will help but they are particularly bad this season and we need to do everything we can to control them in the hive. Apithor traps use an insecticide that will targets only the beetles, they are by far the best set and forget trap that will kill beetles and last for up to 3months. They cost between $6-$8 and are available at most beekeeping supply stores. www.apithor.com.au

Silver bullets are also excellent and built to last, fill them with either vegetable oil or diamataceous earth. Insert into your brood box between two frames and check every few weeks. Cost is about $15 and available at beekeeping supply stores.

There are lots of other traps to choose from, these are the traps that are the most effective and best value for money. You can loose your hive to Small Hive Beetle (SHB) in as little as a week so its important to keep on top of it.

Thank you Rod that gives us much to be getting on with. And we are now licensed:)

1 Like

Thanks Valli …feeling a bit more buzzy now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder how quickly they will get a license once we get SHB
In Italy there is a colony destruction order if SHB is found, Its march is relentless though and I wonder whether allowing the italians to treat for SHB might discourage non reporting.

Hi Dee, from our experience here, I’d say it’s impossible to stop the spread of SHB. I guess it depends on how many wild hives there are in the district. Just one large beehive infested with SHB can yield scores, if not hundreds of thousands of new beetle. Other factors are: what predators are in the area to eat the larvae as they try to pupate in the soil.
I really think with your climate, you wont have much trouble with them. The first time I saw one in my hive, I seriously thought my beekeeping days were over. I quickly came to the realization that I can live with them. As long as I follow my own advice & don’t let my guard down, I’m right.
I’m off very shortly to check on a hive to do just that, among other things (bring some honey home). bye

1 Like

Yes, That’s why I think wholesale destruction of whole apiaries is so unnecessary.Why is the role of feral colonies being ignored? I really feel so sorry for the poor beekeepers there. There was quite a long interval between the last report and the one before. Many suspect that beekeepers weren’t reporting finding beetles until they could get their crops in.

1 Like

I find this attitude by the italian authorities to be counter-productive, as you said Dee it will only encourage non-reporting. Most italians are not wealthy people and won’t destroy their hives, and I don’t blame them.

1 Like