Oxalic Acid Treatments discussion

Go in from where the corrugated sheet slides in. It will take a piece of sheet tin to rest on but that’s a fast fix with a trip to the hardware store. For treatments cut out a piece the size of the corrugated sheet and set the wand on that. Dawn told me about that little gem and it’s great.

1 Like

Here’s a new device for vaping oxalic which I’m thinking of using this year…

It seems to be faster, lighter and more efficient, with no danger of setting the hives on fire.

2 Likes

I completed a full dose formic pro treatment at the end of august and decided that I would do a broodless OA vaporization at the end of November/beginning of Dec. I did a sugar shake a couple days after the formic in Sept and there were 2 mites (per 300 bees). I did the OA treatment at the end of November and there were hundreds of mites after the first day. 5 days later (on last Tuesday) I did a second treatment and there were again, hundreds if not thousands of mites after the first 24°. I’m a little stunned but I guess there must have still been a lot of capped brood after the first OA treatment??

I will plan to repeat the OA treatments q5days until the 24° drop is less than 25 mites… or do you have any other advice? It’s too cold to open up the hive but certainly there can’t be much brood any more?

3 Likes

That sounds perfect to me! :wink:

Your observation is what I think kills most colonies, especially in the apiaries of new beekeepers. Even in the hands of experienced beekeepers. I think @Eva would agree that Varroa is a vastly underestimated enemy… :blush:

2 Likes

What a difference a fews days makes! Still >>25 mites (I think about 125) but much better than the prior photo!

3 Likes

So glad you did it, and showed the result. That will help lots of people in the future, thank you Alok!

:heart_eyes:

1 Like