Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Painting Flow Hive 2

My new hive has arrived and assembly is now complete.
I have started painting with exterior acrylic paint and have found that covering the black areas from the lazer cutting is difficult. So far I have 4 coats applied and this is only just covering the black. Maybe coat 5 coming up??
Have others experienced similar issues?

Yes absolutely. I have painted with 4 coats and up to 5 on the laser cuts :+1:

Thanks @3jk . Good to know it is not me or the paint causing the problem.
The end grain was incredibly thirsty too.
I will be patient and add another coat.

I wasn’t sure what to do here either (the laser burnt bits). Surely, if it resists 4 or 5 coats of paint, it will resist the weather?

Update on the progress of painting.
The roof and stand are complete. 5 coats each only just covered the black. These were painted yellow.
The brood box and flow super are painted white. Only 2 coats were needed to cover these. (I will probably add a 3rd coat just for durability.)
Clearly there is a difference in the paint formulations. The yellow has a translucent quality, hence the difficulty covering. The white is completely opaque and covers easily.
I presume the body of the base tint for the yellow is the difference. The vehicle is probably the same in both.
So for anyone in a hurry, and who is happy to go traditional white, this is a far easier option.
Have others used colours other than white and yellow? If so what was your experience?

1 Like

You could also just do the first coat with a latex concealing primer and then do whatever color you’d like on top of that.

1 Like

Thanks @chau06, I am thinking the same.
I will try that approach next time.
It is interesting to note that the instructions on the can says for bare timber 3 coats required and that the paint is self priming.
Maybe self priming with regard to adhesion, but a concealing primer appears to be necessary for proper coverage.
In 50 plus years of painting stuff I have not run into this problem before. Always something to learn.

3 Likes

When I was cleaning up some of the overpaint on edges of the boxes I discovered that the black charred surface is easily removed with 120 grit sandpaper.
When commencing my next hive I will dry fit the components to identify any charred surfaces that will be visible when painting and sand off most of the char. I think this will make covering much easier.
Overall I am happy with the outcome of painting.

4 Likes