Perth (WA, AU) Flowhives and honey flow

I agree mate, it doesn’t look like Marri nectar to me either and I’ve never seen it before!

I remember a while ago reading somewhere on here that someone noticed the bees depositing water in the flow frame cells and posted a photo… I’ll try find it.

Ah here it is:

This took me a good while to find digging through the archives and yes you are right! @JeffH makes the same call back in Jan '21 and you even liked it too! :wink:

Ah bugger but then old mates ready to take a punt on it and big @JeffH weighs the odds and then agrees that it is indeed water?!

In regards to filling ff, going off photos I’ve noticed there’s no set rule in where the girls start. Coincidently while searching for the above I stumbled upon Jacky Boys photo of his flow frame:

Cheers @Semaphore (P.S. I’m originally from Adelaide too btw :wink:)

It clearly shows where they worked from outside-in. So therefore there is a possibility that it is nectar but then if they did ‘dump’ it there, why would they move it again if it’s actually the fullest cell?

I am 99.9% certain that in the last 4 days they had not stored anything in the flow frame cells as I have been checking religiously. Today was the first time I noticed and I believe it’s to do with the fact I recently made same major HVAC changes which I’ll post a topic about later and unfortunately the Marri flow is just a coincidental convenience.

Because of this, I personally think it’s water. They didn’t do this before the changes I made :thinking:

Skeggers do you have a refractometer we can borrow so we can nip this in the bud? I have one for salinity I use for my marine tanks. Will that suffice for our purposes @ABB?

1 Like