Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

Perth (WA, AU) Flowhives and honey flow

Hi @becw, I still can’t see a peanut shaped Queen cell in the middle of the frame. Can you perhaps circle the area on the image?

Given your concern about the amount of drone cells, were they end or middle frames?

You appear to have brood cells so someone appears to be laying fresh eggs…I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Edit: the request to circle was posted at the same time @BecW posted the marked up photo…

You’re right, it is hard to see. Was there an egg in there? I’ve had 4 empty play cups this season, so far.

Generally swarm cells are on the bottom of the frame so don’t believe they are in swarm mode and as Snowy says if the pictured frames are from the outside and not in the middle of the brood nest it’s no big deal, that is what you can get when you don’t use foundation. If it is from the middle of the brood nest then the qc may be the beginnings of a supersedure cell cos the bees know it ain’t right either.

Just great, more bees. Swarm arrived at 10am, seems to be the swarm time. This was an empty hive left outside as a trap
Doesn’t seem to be from any of my colony’s.
I dont really want any more… :sob:

Seems like you’re about to start a business selling nucs (swarms)… And just as you were commenting about preparing for your later years!

So please tell me… why were you setting swarm traps??? :rofl:

I think we need to start bee-addicts anonymous. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiling_imp: :heart_eyes:

@SnowflakeHoney…yes eggs in some of the 20 odd swarm cells. Definitely swarm cells but also several emergency Queen cells. I’m thinking failing Queen. And play the waiting game to see what happens. We managed to mark a Queen but she was very small . Thinking she was virgin.

This brood pattern is throughout the whole 8 frames of brood Two outer frames are honey. Definitely swarms cells and emergency cells with larva just don’t have images of them.

Yes throughout the whole brood.

(sorry just trying to remember how to quote and attention)

I don’t know Dawn, I don’t know…
Just placed adds on bookface.
I added frames to the box, it was only a small swarm, covered the 3 frames already in the hive. Very gentle, but most swarms are eh.

Well that didn’t take long, all sold subject to my conditions.My dilemma is that I like @JeffH’s way, the customer supplying the hive body and frames and installing the bees here, checking on progress then getting them picked up, More responsible and safe but the semi commercial buyers want them all and now. I’d rather sell to backyarders like myself but is it better to get rid of them all in one hit?
Whaddya think.

Whatever makes life easiest and whatever you can live with. That’s probably the best way forward. And given you were looking to move them on… Seems like a good outcome