Pollen in flow frames

Hi all!

Today I performed the last thorough inspection before the upcoming harvest and found this:
grafik
They are storing pollen in the flow frames! And not just a little bit, no it’s quite a lot! Will that affect the harvest? Will it block the mechanism? And why do they do that? There’s enough space in the brood box, queen laying excellently, even some space to draw new comb. No plans for swarming as far as I can see. They are not honey-bound or running out of space.

1 Like

I don’t think it will have a big affect on harvesting- and hopefully the bees will later remore what’s left of the pollen after you harvest. Maybe there is just so much coming in at the moment the bees are putting it wheerever they find a space. By the looks o all that uncapped nectar thigs are going very well for the bees at the moment.

I found the same random pollen in mine as well. I hope to harvest within the week if they keep capping.

2 Likes

I often find pollen in honey frames above the QX. Sometimes quite thick. I’m always careful where I place such stickies on account of beetles. I wouldn’t place them in a hive with a weak colony.

1 Like

I saw that in your other post. I wondered what it was, until I looked up the Tulip tree honey color and saw that it is often quite dark. When bees forage for pollen, they deposit it themselves, whereas with honey, they hand it over to house bees for storage. If the bees are making bee bread from Tulip tree pollen, it would be logical that it would also be very dark. It wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine that a bee foraging Tulip tree pollen would take some nectar too and use that for the bee bread - sort of dark rye bee bread. :blush:

3 Likes

This is quite unique indeed. It would prevent the row of cells above from draining, as the honey would reach the pollen and spill over it and out the uncapped cell, you could try opening and closing a few times, to help break up the pollen. Normally bees will keep pollen in the brood box for protein. They may have brought in extra. You could try removing this over the brood box with a toothpick, the bees will likely collect and restore this. . Once majority of it is gone it wont be an issue for harvesting. But you might find that having pollen already they continue to fill this spot wth more pollen.

It would be really interesting to follow what happens. Have you inspected the brood box, maybe this is completely full and you could look at switching out a honey filled timber frame with an empty timber frame.

2 Likes

Really interesting too. It doesn’t appear as wide spread and full of pollen, so harvesting would work. You should open and close the frame a few times to help break up the pollen, when you go to harvest.

2 Likes