Pollen means eggs and larvae?

Hello everyone,

I understand that when a bee colony has larvae, a lot of pollen is gathered for them, is that correct?

Does that mean that when you see bees returning with pollen, that there are likely eggs and larvae in the hive? Or are pollen also brought in for consumption by bees or stored for e.g. the winter?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t say it is guaranteed that you have a queen laying worker larvae, but likely that you have some sort of larvae. Workers without a queen can lay drones and so they will still need pollen to raise them.

1 Like

Bees like collecting pollen. Even when they are queenless they will fill frames up with pollen, so doesn’t necessarily equate to eggs and larvae.

Yes, bees eat pollen - it is their carbs! Also, it is part of the ingredient for royal jelly I think.

Not trying to nit pick but for accuracy’s sake. Pollen is their protein source, the honey/nectar is their source of carbs. Pollen ranges from 2.5% to 61% protein content. And average nectar contents range from 12% to 52% sugar(comprised of sucrose, glucose and fructose).

1 Like

That’s true
I have had nearly a whole box of pollen stores made by bees that were queenless

Thanks a lot for all the replies!

I will have to go and inspect the hive, to be sure that new brood is present, then. :slight_smile:

Always a good idea. I do weekly inspections