Poor hive progression

Hi,
I have a flow hive and about 6 weeks ago I placed the flow super on top of the brood box with the queen excluder in between. At that time the brood frames were mostly filled. Since then there has been lots of activity in the super but no honey. I inspected the brood box today and there was less brood, I saw the queen, very few eggs and very few larvae it was mostly honey and empty frames. The population seem quit strong. I have been giving them sugar syrup for about 3 weeks.
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Shane

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of possibilities…

How old is your colony? Is this the first time you’ve used the flow frames? Did you wax them or treat them before placing on the hive? Have you been feeding with the flow frames in place?

There are quite a few members on here from the Brisbane area - maybe they can chime in with some insight on the nectar flows in your area.

1 Like

Hi @chau06 . Wongawallan is a rural community in the city of Gold Coast. Things in Wongawallan may not be as they are in Brisbane. I know that in some parts of Brisbane, there is a bit of a honey flow, at least in Caboolture.
@Shane_Brun will need to check with locals to find out the local situation. I’m guessing that a honey flow can’t be far away, considering all the rain we’ve had.

1 Like

I think you may just have to wait. We went from every super 100% full at the last inspection on 2 hives to 50% on a quite a few due to many days of rain I assume.
Now all the Buckinghamia (Ivory Curl) are all in flower I would expect everything will pick up again in Brisbane.
We have never fed our bees and take only harvest 1 flow frame at a time on each hive over many weeks depending on inspections and bee activity.
Good luck

Hi everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. Very helpful, thanks
Shane