Queen bee above the excluder

Thank you all for your interest and taking the time to respond. There is plenty of brood below the QX, but I was unable to see eggs in the cells above the QX which is metal, but perhaps that is more related to my eyesight rather than the absence of eggs. We have a red weather alert here today so will get the magnifying glass out for my next inspection ASAP, as I understand the hive is not really flourishing in its current state. Thanks again :honeybee:

2 Likes

I found a recently repaired metal QX not in use, so I brought it home to take some happy snaps. The first photo shows the extent I go to, to get them right.

The next two show the spacer I made about 20 years ago. If the spacer doesn’t go through the gaps, I reckon the queen wont fit through. If the spacer fits through, then I reckon the queen will fit through. As I find them I mark them, then I fastidiously fill the gaps with plastibond or automotive body filler.

cheers

PS No one should ever rest on their laurels & assume that a metal QX is the answer to keeping the queen out of the honey super.

Sometimes they can get damaged through rough handling before purchase.

With my galvanized wire QX’s, I believe the bees wear the galvanizing down over time, which slowly reveals the gaps.

3 Likes

That’s a fair bit of repairs there Jeff.

Your bees must have some diamond coating armour Mr.J! I think what might happen with galvanised excluders is that honey itself will corrode it. Honey is a bit acidic with a pH of about 3.9 and can be lower.

My bees are rather fluffy, I can’t see them wearing down the metal, but I’ve been wrong once before.

I invested in some stainless excluders, but their gaps look wide to me compared to the queen.

What is the size of your spacer? It’s very handy to make one.

1 Like

I agree Stefan, one way or another it gets worn down. The shiny galvanized surface certainly disappears, that’s for sure. Some of my QX’s are over 30 years old. They’ll be good for 10 years, then all of a sudden you find brood in the honey super. I found it’s a waste of time putting the queen back below it, because she finds the gap again.

I think you’re right about the acid, it makes more sense.

I’d have to measure the spacer with a micrometer to tell you how thick it it. I just sat down one day with that piece of wood & a sharp knife, as well as a QX with some gaps. I whittled away until I got it to the point where it went through the wide spaces but not the normal spaces. You can go cross-eyed checking every space. Most blokes would chuck them away, then buy new ones.

I think you’re on the right track by going for ss QXs. I’m pretty sure your queen wont fit through the gaps.

3 Likes