Red Cedar Flow boxes?

I have equally had a very good experience with the first guys Paulowniatimber.com.au.
They said they were out of the 19x250mm boards and will be harvesting soon so will i likely look at making a few boxes when they are available. David was the guys name. Let us know what you find weaver.

1 Like

Paulonia is light, like Balsa, but more brittle I would say, and less vulnerable to compression.

Yes it would be interesting to see how it holds up to say ten frames full of honey.

Structurally it can grade to F8 but F7 and F5 is more common depending on knots and other defects. That makes it ā€œofficiallyā€ almost as good as pine or Monterrey Cypress.

Hey Jed,
I ordered (2) Full Flow 7-Frame with No Box. Am I entitled to get the cedar boxes? I was going to retrofit into my two existing hives, but its such a beautiful, complete look, Iā€™d like to have that instead. My order number is: 10889529 and I contributed on 10 April. Please let me knowā€¦thanks!

Hi Folks, it is official we are offering the free cedar upgrade to all our indigogo supporters and people who have bought from the website! We are also offering the free upgrade until the 25th of August. After that the price of the premium hive will go up but we will introduce another cheaper pine hive.

Thanks everyone for your support.

1 Like

Of course you entitled to Cedar box if you upgrade.
Boxes are $60 each and they will be a 10 Frame WRC Flow box to fit your 7 flow frames.
Contact us at customer support via the ā€˜click hereā€™ link on this page http://www.honeyflow.com/contact/p/3
and we will update your account so you can pay for any upgrades you wish.

Thanks for the upgrade guys, thatā€™s brilliant. My hive is going on my back roof - the house is clad with western red cedar, so it should look fantastic!

1 Like

Cool, thank you. Iā€™ll send a note for 2 upgrades now. So, just so I understand, when I upgrade, the finished hive will look like the hive sent out in the note (see pic below) or do I need to buy an additional brood box, base, roof, etc.? You poor man, you probably answered that question way too may times.
While Iā€™m at it, another questionā€¦you never have to add more supers (flow boxes) with this set up do youā€¦you just drain the honey, right? I only ask, because I want to make sure I order everything I need when I upgrade.

2 Likes

Is this hive treated at all? As I understand it cedar doesnā€™t need to be, what would you recommend?

You have only ordered the the top part (super) - Flow Frames with Box(if you upgrade to include the box).
If you would like it to look like the video - this is a Complete Flow Hive.
You are also able to upgrade to this.
Just email us here - http://www.honeyflow.com/contact/p/3
Click on the underline "click here"
Please include the email address you used when you first ordered or your order number so we can access your order.

Yes you can just have on super and drain when it is ripe and ready. Some bee keepers may choose to have more though, it is up to the individual.
But when one Flow Frame is all capped, you can just drain that one if the other Flow Frames arenā€™t all capped yet(ripe).

1 Like

The hive doesnā€™t come treated. We are using natural tung oil.

Iā€™d be interested to know what you thought to using Linseed oil rather than Tung oil on the red cedar FlowHive ? Linseed oil is natural, and edible . . . and I happen to have quite a lot of it, whereas I donā€™t have any Tung oil. My FlowHive is scheduled for December, so Iā€™ve still got some time to think about what coating to use.

1 Like

Hi Jake, sorry but Iā€™m a little confused, so I bough a complete flow hive during the Indiegogo campaign, does the free upgrade apply to the complete flowhive? and how can I get one? do I need to change my order is some way in my account?

It all happens automatically ; -)

Hi @adrian I am no expert but have uses both linseed and tung.
I have always considered tung to be a better oil for exterior use than linseed. Both are used in food contact products and are considered ā€œsafeā€ ie wooden bowls ectā€¦

1 Like

you may already know this but if you use linseed make sure its raw linseed without the drier compounds in it. You dont know what chemicals they are. It will take a long time for linseed to dry though compared to pure tung oil.

thanks for for the feedback. Iā€™m feeling more confident about using Linseed oil . . .Iā€™ve inherited so much of it Iā€™d rather use what Iā€™ve already got rather than buying an alternative.

My FlowHive is scheduled for delivery in December, so I will have at least 3 or 4 months to build and coat it. Iā€™m looking forward to it.

1 Like

You can thin the Linseed oil with mineral turpentine (even add a little varnish) to let the linseed oil absorb more quickly and deeply. I donā€™t use a lot of turps but about 1/3 Turps to 2/3 linseed oil.
I know some use equal parts. When thinned it is also much easier to apply, but more coats may
be needed

Just wanted to add some information on the Characteristics of Western Red cedar

WESTERN RED CEDAR CHARACTERISTICS
Western Red Cedar from Western Forest Products is one of the worldā€™s finest building materials.
Species Characteristics: Warmth, natural durability, dimensional stability, versatility, distinctiveness; one of the worldā€™s most beautiful woods; no man-made material can duplicate its naturally luxurious appearance; high-performance quality.
Uses: Ideal for a variety of exterior and interior uses in a wide range of products; lightweight; easy to handle and install; pitch- and resin-free, making it ideal for a wide range of stains and finishes.
Why is Western Red Cedar ideal to work with? Its fibres contain natural compounds that act as preservatives, making the wood extremely long lasting. These compounds provide natural resistance to moisture, insects and decay.

IMO itā€™s a great choice of Wood to use and from what I have seen Most of the high priced warre hives use the Cedar.

1 Like