Replace corflute bottom board with one that holds diatomaceous earth/vegetable oil?

Matt, withdrawing posts is also a big no-no :slight_smile:

Oh, I only did that as I hadn’t put the quote in and it didn’t make sense in the post string. A few too many rules here on posting for my liking-seems like it’s a bit too uptight.

1 Like

Not usually. You just caught a few people in “grumpy” mode. It really isn’t normally like that here, otherwise I wouldn’t stick around. There is enough aggro in life already. :blush:

4 Likes

Most on the forum are able to work out the meanings but only a few ‘carry on’ about it. It is a fact of life you can’t please everyone, and trying to do that is a waste of effort.
Over all you won’t find a better forum in regard to beekeeping, you will learn who is uptight.
Regards

Pretty standard on forums to stop the ability to edit posts after a period of time. There have been members who have left the forum and removed their posts making threads make no sense. This also applies to edited texts making replies seem like gobbledygook…
As for Jeff’s comment on withdrawing posts, you missed his sarcasm. :wink:
I see this as more of a beginner beeks forum and members are a lot more forgiving than some other forums…

4 Likes

Hi Matt,

This is what it will look like when you can edit your post:

The reason there is a time limit on editing posts is because:

Responses should be thought-out before writing and posting publicly on the forum, especially if there is anything emotionally directed at another member on the forum. We want to keep the forum a happy, positive and educational place, not full of public bickering between members. :slight_smile: Healthy debate and discussion are encouraged if different beekeepers have different views but must be posted in a logical and non-attacking way.

If a post is edited later to change the content of the post, it can affect many things, like the other forum members posts that follow the original post. In the past, some forum members posts have been completely edited to change the meaning of the post, and it, therefore, affects other forum members replies and perceptions of what was written.

A post can be deleted if necessary. But, it is just better, in general, to think about what you are going to write before you post it. Think about if you really need to reply to the post, aka has someone else said exactly the same thing, etc, do I really need to reply to this post? Do I have something useful to add to the conversation? Deleting a post later because you have offended someone, or created a negative environment is not the best solution. I believe it is better to be pro-active in creating a good post, rather than editing and deleting posts later.

I hope that makes sense. They are basic rules in place to keep the forum humming along in a positive way. If you ever want to particularly edit or delete a post and can’t - you are welcome to message me, or flag the post with a message so we can edit or delete it for you :slight_smile: No problem :slight_smile: :honeybee:

I hope your SHB trap goes well, I really like the simple nature of the SHB trap. :bug:

2 Likes

Hi Matt, the editing & deleting messages causes unnecessary stress & anxiety. I think it’s more distrust than anything else. We used to be able to see what a post was edited from, but now we can’t.

Sometimes we just can’t correct all our mistakes within the 5 minutes allocated. I recently changed a comma to a colon after the 5 minutes expired. Now my post shows that it has been edited. People will be wondering, hopefully not stressing about what I changed. I thought of this thread while doing so.

Oh no, I’ve done it again!!!

2 Likes

One practice I use is to write a draft in WORD and then cut and paste into the forum when I am happy with what I have written.
Rather than editing a post by changing it, one could reply to one’s own post and write a new post to correct the original one. That way everyone can instantly see what has been changed.

1 Like

Hi Helmut, did you do that this time? :slight_smile:

Yep, wrote a draft :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Matt for doing the correction for me. Sometimes my fingers out run my brain,:grinning:
cheers

Faroe-I actually purchased some 3mm thick, 10mm wide, balsa and glued that onto the corflute which comes with a flow hive-leaving about a 5 mm gap on the sides of the corflute so it would still slide into the bottom board. I then topped it off with diatomaceous earth. Works great and requires less attention than the fluffy tablecloth method. Catches the odd moth too.

So far all good with the SMB-only a couple a day. I’ll also do the spray of vinegar and salt water around the hives once I set up my new hive racks.

Thanks!!!

Matt

3 Likes

Good to hear :slight_smile: Yep, definitely a lot easier in my mind than a tablecloth, and easier to change the diatomaceous earth when you need to.
From memory, you can put the diatomaceous earth around the hive as well.

1 Like