Right place - right time: Worker Emerging

I saw a little “nose” poking through …

Then I saw some chewing …

So I thought I would stick around …

… My reward was watching one of my newest workers entering the world!

(May I say, “wow” on my own video?)

6 Likes

I don’t see why not! :blush: However, just to get the semantics correct here - your video title is inaccurate. Eggs hatch. Pupae emerge, they don’t hatch. :smile:

1 Like

I stand corrected - just corrected YouTube as well!

THANK YOU

1 Like

I have windows on one of my hives in the brood box so I have watched bees emerge a few times. It’s amazing how within a minute of emerging they set about checking out other cells- and I have seen them help other bees emerge just minutes after they themselves have. They don’t mess around bees- no time to lose!

1 Like

Did you get those commercially? If so can you please DM with a link to them?

Thanks

I made them myself :wink: but I do have some for sale- but I am in Australia.

this is my observation tower hive- it consists of 5 frame nuc boxes stacked high- with a modified 3 frame flow box- and also a single frame observation box at the very top with extra big windows:

There were some boxes with windows available on ebay USA a while back- I just had a look again but couldn’t find them…

For what it’s worth- I think there is no downside to having windows- you can easily check in on the bees without having to do a full inspection- and you can observe the bee behavior and see the queen in a relaxed natural state.

3 Likes

Are those laser cut?

Yep- that’s why the box joints are blackened

True but it is common to hear people call it hatching when it’s emerging. I think it’s partly because of how much it resembles a chick hatching. The fuzzy bee circles the cap and cuts it open and crawls out all wet and downy…

1 Like

Do you share (sell) your plans?

What type of device would I need to find to cut them?

no not yet I am afraid- my hives are all prototypes in the ‘bee testing’ phase. I don’t know the exact specs of the laser but it was large one and reasonably powerful to be able to cut 3/4 inch wood. It’s a type they use to cut acrylic and other materials- often for sign making- it couldn’t cut metal though. It took the laser people a while to get their machine perfectly calibrated for my timber. What was surprising was how long the actual cutting took- the laser moved relatively slowly to get through that thickness.

1 Like

I think wow is a good description :slight_smile: Good work :honeybee: