Screened Bottom Board

Hi folks,

I was curious if the screened bottom board will accommodate a beetle tray in either of the slots? This is the tray I’m looking to fill with lime dust to catch the SHB after blocking them with my Beetle Blocker Shim.

http://www.eheartwood.com/bee-boxes/8-frame-plastic-tray-for-beetle-trap

I don’t know the dimensions of the bottom board slots so if anyone from Flow or the forum could let me know if this will fit, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks so much! Counting down the days until my Flow Hive arrives!
:slightly_smiling:
Diane

The dimensions on that website don’t match up with an 8-Frame Langstroth. 23 x 17 x 12 inches is HUGE!! :blush:

An 8 Frame Langstroth box is 20 x 13.75-14 inches. I am sure you will get some measurements from people who have Flow bottom boards, but I think you will need to call the company for accurate measurements, because those are unfortunately nonsensical :smile:

I would be interested to see what you find, because I am sure that I will have to deal with SHB at some point.

Thanks. I have written the company as the 10 frame is smaller than the 8 frame listed on the website!??!?

I’ll keep you posted!
Diane

Ok according to the company, the dimensions are: 12 3/4 x 20 1/2 x 1

That sounds better, right?
Diane

OK, it is 12 3/4" x 20 1/2" x 1"

I have a Bee Thinking SBB and the slot in that is 13" from one side to the other. I think the Flow SBB is 1/4" larger, so that tray might slip out, but it would fit in the older Bee Thinking SBB for sure.

Dawn

Thanks so much, Dawn! I appreciate it.
For $12 I may give it a try.
Diane

You could cut a spare piece of corflute (plenty here in the US given the political campaigns) and spread petroleum jelly and mineral oil on it rather than try to rig up a tray…

3 Likes

Thanks, Bobby. I may give that a try!
Diane

I don’t even want to know whose boards you are going to cut up!!! :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I wish I would have thought of that before I did the extra work to modify my bottom board to make a cookie sheet fit!!!

Bobby,

Curious if you mean to smear vasoline and mineral oil on the coreflute board as it is, or do suggest making a tray by cutting pieces of the coreflute board to make a “tray” that slide in to the existing bottom board slot?

Michael

Just use the flat sheet @miketran