Seattle Beekeepers! Help?

Hello! I am a SOCAL beekeeper but I’m up the PACNORWEST for military service.

I’m taking an Apprentice Beekeeping Course through University of Montana and I need to test some bees. Unfortunately, my bees are in San Diego, so I was wondering if any beekeepers could donate some bees in exchange for free testing for Nosema, Varroa, and Tracheal Mites? After the testing is complete, I will provide you with detailed results.

Here is what I would need from each hive you wanted tested (up to five hives):

Nosema – Need approx. 15-20 bees from the top cover (older bees, foragers). Please collect the bees, place into a ziploc bag, and freeze the bees. Please ensure the bag is labeled (ex. Nosema test, date, hive #).

Varroa – Need approx. 250 bees from the brood frames (young bees). Be CAREFUL not to take the queen. Please place into Ziploc bag and freeze the bag. Please ensure the bag is labeled (ex. Varroa test, date, hive #).

Tracheal Mites – Need approx. 5 bees (older bees, foragers). Please collect the bees, place into a ziploc bag, and freeze the bees. Please ensure the bag is labeled (ex. Tracheal Mites test, date, hive #).

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions or would like to have your bees tested. Due to my schedule, I would need to get the bees before 15 SEP 2019.

-Cameron

1 Like

I think @Gerald_Nickel is in your area, and the other possibility is to contact Rusty Burlew at www.honeybeesuite.com. She is a master beekeeper and has recently helped a government research study. She has about 10 hives, so she will have the number of bees you need.

I could help you with San Diego bees (I am usually in Point Loma), but I can’t get back to the hives for a number of weeks, as we are traveling. Let me know if you still want samples. :blush:

1 Like

Hi Dawn,

If your still here Bee :honeybee: Buddy … I’m still alive n beekeeping up here in Washington State. Still dealing with heart :heart: issues as well. Some time in January (if all goes well) I’m scheduled for surgery to add a defibrillator… that all I know about that right now.

Out of my 10 hives I have 6 colonies still alive. It’s been a challenge with caring for Vera, Mites, Yellow Jackets n my health but I’m still plugging along.

I hope this note finds you n yours plus others on here well n moving along in the Flow of things. It was a crappy honey :honey_pot: years locally for many including me near Seattle… I’ve added winter patties to hopeful make up the difference… I harvested “Nothing this season. I only collect some if a hive dies-out. But I’d rather they make it into Spring instead.

Cheers :clinking_glasses:,

Gerald

4 Likes

Hiya Jerry! How nice to hear from you. We often think about you and Vera. We are fine, but my mother is pretty sick so we are going to visit her in the UK for a week to cheer her up.

We lost one hive to insecticide poisoning this year. We discarded the honey and frames from that one, as we were worried about chemical contamination. Losing the bees was sad, but our other hive is fine. No Flow honey, but we had a bit of traditionally extracted (using a spinner, mostly) and some comb honey. Haven’t sold it all yet as we have been too busy with life!

We have actually had about 6 months of rain in the last month in San Diego. Very wet weather. The bees have been using up a lot of their stores even in double deep brood boxes, so we are feeding - no pollen, just sugar.

We wish you, Vera and family a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!

:christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree:

Hi Cam,

Just saw your note :memo:!! I was offline a few months due to internet issues n health. I do hope you found help from Rusty or another local beekeeper…

Gerald