Small Hive Beetle (SHB) and Moth Trap using corflute slider

I made one of these last week and used DE instead of lime. Works a treat. Caught a lot of beetles in just a few days. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Excellent great to hear. Iā€™m probably being a bit of cheap scape using lime due the price.

1 Like

Hi @Gaz, this looks like a great idea, we have the small hive beetles and have also found maggots on our core flute board. Unfortunately our bees are managing to get down thru the wire mesh from the brood box, so they will die too, or will we have to just sacrifice a few bees? :hushed: Any suggestions please. ( I am an absolute newbee)

The bees shouldnā€™t be able to get down through the bottom mesh. I know a few people have had issues with the mesh being too big so I would definitely contact flow hive about that.

Thanks for that @Gaz. This is one of the first fundraising hives sent out. Ive only just got it put together due to moving house and other issues
& the bees have been in for about 7 weeks. Maybe the mesh issue has been resolved for the newer hives by now. I will contact the flow team. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s more likely the odd bee flies in the back if your corflute is in the lower slide. Iā€™ve seen them do that in both my hives, I have good success with the furry cloth method for catching SHB, I slide out the corflute and squish them. They canā€™t escape with their legs stuck in the fibres. Bees donā€™t seem to get caught.

Hi @aussiemike, I have been wanting to get some fuzzy fabric to try that method on the beetles but cant seem to find anything suitable, where do you get your fabric?

On the flow hive videos they use a pinic rug that is torn open to expose the furry part and attach that to the corflute. Ensure you have a spare piece of corflute to put in the top slot while extracting the honey so you can see how much is leaking.
Good luckšŸ˜€

The picnic table cloth I have is shiny plastic on the top side and furry on the bottom. I stick the shiny to the corflute with double sided tape. (A couple of strips along the sides is fine) I put the corflute in the top slot upside down for harvesting. I think my lovely wife bought the table cloth from BigW or similar. Other people have used chux.

1 Like

Thanks for that fabric advice. The flow team recommended checking the mesh as it could be out of alignment with some holes a bit too large, and to straighten out any bent bits.
This morning Iā€™m going to do my first ever harvest! :smiley:

1 Like

Thatā€™s wonderful, Cheesyoddbod. Take a video, itā€™s a magical moment.