Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Solar powered cooling experiment

As it is winter here in Australia and the shortest day I can do an update of my solar powered fan hot air extractor built into a migratory lid.
I have removed the lid for the winter, time to repaint the lid but from memory I fitted the solar roof on in the heat last January and that hive a noticeable reduction in fanning and bearding of that hive during the extreme heat wave of Summer when maximum temperature were being recorded all over Australia, as well as here. Ok, it wasn’t a scientific test as it was one hive among twenty at my apiary but it didn’t have as much fanning during the heat of the days. The fan is controlled by temperature under the roof.
I noted all the warning from those warning me that the bees would be angry because of fan vibration, electrical fields, the sound of the fan motor to name a few but in use I saw nothing to validate those theories.
So was it a benefit to the colony, well it certainly did no harm to the colony but nor did I take more honey from that hive than the rest, if that is a indicator, but no two hives produced the same amount of honey either. It wasn’t the biggest honey producer but it was in the upper producing hives.
Will I make more solar lids? On nights I am bored and happy to tinker I might so I can get more data. But I doubt it will become a priority on my “To Do List”…
Just a few pics.

4 Likes

That’s interesting as I was wondering about ventilation of the hives this year. I pulled out the core flute board thinking perhaps the bees would cap the honey faster with more ventilation. I didn’t think it aided in honey capping. But it did aid in the bees going under the hive. So I put the bottom core flutes back.

Does it work like a bathroom fan sucking hot air out?

It is a ‘pusher fan’ in that it sucks the air in the roof and blows it out of the roof thru a 35mm hole with a piece of metal flyscreen on each side of the fan.
Cheers

2 Likes