Perth (WA, AU) Flowhives and honey flow

Thanks Jeff. I understand there are different point of views on ventilation, and your logic make a lot of sense to me, especially when ambient temp is higher than the hive’s and you don’t want that heat to get in.

Then there is that chap down the road from you, whats’is name? Peter or something - he is putting solar powered fans in his hive lids with good effect.

Exposed hives

As I also mentioned in some other thread, in my home country in the Mediterranean, native of the honey bees, I often found hives fully exposed in trees and open structures with maximum ventilation and exposure to the weather. Granted, these wild hives are not being harvested for honey, but maximum honey production is not my goal either. Climate there is very similar to here in Perth.

I will approach this subject with an open mind. I will give the bees the option to ventilate if they want. I will keep those vents open in that frame I built on the crown board, leave the leaves there for insulation and minimise draught between vent holes - then reduce the hole in the crown board and place mesh that can be easily propolised if they want. I think that is a fair compromise and will be up to the bees to decide.

Slatted Racks

When I gather enough scrap wood I want to build a slatted rack even though the sceptic in me thinks it is 70% gimmick. I can only find anecdotal evidence that they are a benefit in hot weather. I think if they really are the panacea people claim they are, everyone in hot climates will have one.

I also don’t want to change too many things at once, only gradual ones and see what happens, then adapt from there and see what works best in this climate with my bees.

Great times ahead.