Solar powered cooling experiment

The solar power roof has been on the hive for 18 months now so I thought it time to update on the project.
In my sub-tropical climate in my Winter there isn’t an issue there is no need for insulating the hive and the hive visually is not effected by the blowing out of the hotter air in the roof area above the super.
In the really warm weather there is no bearding or fanning seen even on an evening, but of course the fan only operates when there is enough sunshine to power the solar powered fan, but it works to within 30 minutes of sunset.
I was warned that the bees would block up the mesh covering the fan but after 18 months it is totally clear of any propolis or wax, so I guess the bees are not upset by the extra ventilation it makes to the hive. The colony is as calm as any of the other hives.
Have I made more of them? No, it is not cost effective but because of the positive results I have began working my way thru my hive fitting the same plastic that used to be fitted to kitchen cupboards when I was young, they are still available from any hardware store like Bunning’s and Mitre10 in Australia. The vent fits a 38mm hole and I fit them at each end of the roof. So doing that is worth thinking about in a warm climate. It frees up more bees from fanning at the hive entrance for foraging for a possibly better honey yield.
Cheers
Cheers

1 Like