Split, new queens and swarms

About two weeks ago moved a queen cell and a frame with two queen cups into a separate brood box. I had found the queen and left her behind in the original hive with four frames of brood, larvae, pollen and nectar. So each box had four full frames and four empty frames.
A swarm today left the new hive with the cells and then moved back in. Did notice the drones were busy about the hive hours before.
Should I now go into the hive and thin out the queen cells?

Hi y,all,
I’ve had a suggestion to put on a queen restricter to keep her inside?
Any thoughts!

Swarm guard to keep the queen in.

But must watch and not leave it on too long?

Hi John, I performed a similar re-active swarm split a few months back except I moved the queen into a new nuc and left the queen cells with the original hive - thinking that would prevent swarming. In hindsight and after reading the below resource, I should have transferred the queen cells with the queen and allow the colony to knock out the queen cells themselves, and leave enough resources in the original hive to raise a new queen… this process should remove the urge to swarm.

Instead, the colony left with the queen cells ended up casting 2 swarms thereafter…

Thanks ffffred
Yes so I found a capped queen cell and two queen cups with larvae in them but the original queen had not left. So I thought doing a split moving the cells/cups away from the original queen with some resources. It appeared to work but two weeks later we start to get the swarm behaviour. So a new queen has hatched in a brood box with four frames of brood, larvae and four empty frames but decided to go?
Thanks again
Cheers

it’s the colony that decides to swarm, not the queen… they thin her down so she can fly… they create new queen cells… etc

my understanding of bee psychology is this…

once they decided it’s time to swarm, you can’t convince them otherwise… so as a bee keeper we trick them into thinking they have swarmed - hence the term “artificial swarm”

if you read the reference resource above, you’ll see that the modified snelgrove 2 method relies on the hive position being changed, it tricks the colony of “swarm-minded” bees into thinking they have moved

I believe the splitting methods attempted by you and I only postponed the inevitable…

1 Like