Swarm control - Split or Add Box?

Hi all,

I did an inspection on one of my hives yesterday and found numerous (7+) filled queen cells (both on the frame face and at the bottom). I’m treating them all as swarm cells even though the queen is very young (only a few months old) and a prolific layer. I last checked 7 days ago and only found a couple queen cups which I destroyed (clearly I missed some).

I guess they need more laying space even though they have an empty flow super and some empty brood frames. So, my question is should I take a split or add an extra brood box and cycle the frames? My understanding is that if I do a split I should use the existing queen in the nuc so it mimics a swarm. I don’t have the room around the hives to do the Pagden split method.

However, the bee numbers aren’t THAT high. Certainly not high enough to even remotely pack the super. They came out of winter a bit weak and are building up numbers so I’m a surprised they are so swarm inclined.

Based in Perth.

All insights welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Anna I am from Perth as well…northern area…Considering temps are going sky high today and a bit tomorrow I will go with a split absolutely today…I had the same problem with the queen cups, I missed some a month ago and I had to recover swarms…

1 Like

Hi Anna, once they get the urge to swarm by making queen cells, the guaranteed way to rid the urge is with an artificial swarm. Looks like you’ve been reading up on Wally Shaw’s material (however it’s Snelgrove II (modified) that’s the guaranteed way, Pagden is only 50%). Taking a split or destroying queen cups will only delay the urge. Adding a box, contrary to popular belief won’t solve much - especially after queen cells are spotted.

This is swarm season. Did you catch your colony from a swarm? Some breeders have queens that are less swarmy (not sure how they do it…).

I’m about to pre-emptively split my colonies - wish me luck…

5 Likes

Good luck!

Yes I think I’ll be making a split either tomorrow or in a week’s time (weather permitting). Wasn’t able to get home in time to do it today.

This hive was purchased from a commercial beekeeper earlier this year, but I had to requeen a few months ago and took a frame of eggs from my other hive (caught swarm). So yes I think they may be a bit swarmy in their genetics, but also the queen is a great layer and keeps a tidy hive. Sigh, I guess you can’t have it all!

1 Like

Thanks, managed to split both hives and didn’t see any swarm cells. A handful of play cups sighted and knocked down.

2 Likes

Hi Anna, your colony might have already swarmed, judging by the buildup of capped queen cells in the course of a week with bee numbers that aren’t that high.

I wanted to point out that possibility because if it’s what happened, your original - mated - queen would be gone, and your colony’s survival is now dependent on at least one of those queen’s healthy development and successful mating.

2 Likes

I had considered that, but though I haven’t sighted her there are still eggs and swimming larva so I’m pretty certain she’s there.

As for swarming, it is possible but I’m pretty on top of the hives and observe them multiple times daily so if they have they must have been pretty stealthy about it. The bee numbers in the hive don’t really look like they’ve swarmed, more that they are still rebuilding after a difficult winter for them.

1 Like