Split progressing well

Looks like the two coloneies are doing well.
Checked the Nuc on Friday and was happy to see how the queen is going.

Some photos below.

Hopefully in a few weeks i can move them into the second Flow hive

1 Like

Nice looking frames. Great to see strong hives with plenty of bees in them. How many frames in the nuc? Are all the frames covered like that?

Cheers
Rob.

Hi Rob. Its a 5 frame nuc. Those are the 3 middle frames
The queen pictured is on one of the outside frames.

Won’t be long before you put it in an eight frame box then. Just need to get the queen into production if it has not already occurred.

Cheers
Rob.

Hi Daz, I always keep small colonies in 8 or mainly 10 frame brood boxes. I use a hive mat, which I think helps. Plus I keep the entrance reduced. Just as a matter of interest, I only give them what frames they occupy, plus one or two more to allow for expansion.

I’d be advising to put the colonies into larger hives sooner, rather than later, as a swarm prevention measure.

Thanks Jeff

I will as soon as this weather warms up.
I have an 8 frame hive ready to go for them

1 Like

How warm does it need to be?? Plenty warm to swarm!

2 Likes

Hi @chau06 dont believe what the weather predicts. We have been geting showers on and off for a while. These ones are my Partner’s bees. She wants to be involved in the move.

This is the nuc on the right, her bees.
My bees on the left.

This will be their new home. Her hive.

3 Likes

Love the stand the nuc is on, Daz :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks @Eva its working out well

1 Like

These hives are works of art! My bees just get a white box, maybe I had better lift my act :joy::joy:

2 Likes

These hives are works of art! My bees just get a white box, maybe I had better lift my act :joy::joy:

As a backyard Beek, they look good. with two hives i dont need/want/have room for an extractor so the Flow Hives are the way.

Just did an inspection on my hive. Girls doing well. Queen is one month old (roughly) but seems to be doing a good job.

Girls moved to the new hive.
They had brood on all 5 frame.
Plenty of honey and nectar stores.

I think timing was right

I placed an entrance reducer on while they build back up.

3 Likes