Strategy For Maintaining Only One brood box and Flow Super per Hive

Since availability of the FH2 Cedar Brood Boxes is limited, we decided to go ahead and place an order for a second brood box now and have it on hand. We’ll fill the first brood box before adding the second box. And then fill the second box before adding the Flow super. That will also give us the option of removing the Flow super over winter if we want. Thanks, Dawn, for all your helpful advise!

2 Likes

FINAL UPDATE:
We like our BeeThinking top-bar hive. And although we want to try the Flow frames, we weren’t really looking for a vertical hive for a second hive. So we cancelled the entire Flow Hive 2 order, and have decided to build a horizontal Flow hive to accommodate six Flow frames (three at each end of the hive) and 18 brood frames between them. Something like John Wilton’s horizontal Flow hive pictured at: https://forum.honeyflow.com/t/way-to-go-horizontal-flow-hive/12967
HorizontalFlowHive1

3 Likes

Hi Dawn,
I had a quick question regarding the use of 2 brood boxes here in San Diego; does the queen excluder go in between the brood boxes and the honey super? or does it go between the 2 brood boxes? I guess I am wondering if the second brood box is intended solely for honey stores for the bees or if they should be able to lay brood in there too.
Thanks!

1 Like

Always above the brood and below the honey super. :wink:

Excellent! Thank you so much! :grin:

1 Like