Swarm (wild apis cerana indica)management

I captured a swarm yesterday,was an average swarm size. But today the swarm gushed out of the box ,but after about 10 min all came back(queen excluder at the gate intact).
What does it signify,should i be not worried about they being absconding? Plz help.

I don’t know about the species of bee you have. You are saying the queen excluder is at the gate, by that do you mean at the hive entrance?
What style of bee hive have you got, like a Langstroth, for example?
Regards

Hi there @ashuwani603 - is this a nucleus box you’re talking about, with the dial you can turn at the entrance/gate to change the opening?

Regardless of what type of box, the bees will be more likely to stay put if it smells of bees already. If it’s been used before, all good. If it’s brand new, having used frames or rubbing beeswax on new frames is a good idea. If you don’t have that option maybe you can buy a small vial of lemongrass oil where you live? One or two tiny drops on a frame inside this box will help the bees feel more at home, because it smells like queen pheromones.

Let us know how it’s turning out :blush:

1 Like

Wonder if that could have been a practice swarm, in preparation to swarm for real again? Peter’s question about your bee species is a good one though, I think most of us here are more familiar with Apis Melliferus, the European honey bee…

1 Like

I dunno, the only one I have worked with is Apis mellifera… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sunglasses:

1 Like

http://asianhoneybee.net.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/AHB-behaviour-lit-review-FINAL2013.pdf
Going to this site on the internet will answer many of your questions.
Regards

1 Like

Irrespective of the race of bee I would expect they are trying to abscond
Do you have a frame of brood you can give them? That might help keep them in your box.

1 Like

Thank you all for these great suggestions and advices.
Firstly i have put in lemon grass alrdy(the specified amount).the hive is a used box with two brood frames in place.

The most important fact is that the swarming season here in our place is over.

Being as you are in the Northern Hemisphere, spring may be over, but I doubt that the swarming season is completely over. If a colony has been slow to prepare to swarm during spring, it doesn’t mean that they wont swarm during summer.

I believe that at any given moment in time, a colony is building up to that end, to eventually swarm. It’s one of the facts of life.

Swarming is often seen in mid-Spring but can happen any time if the weather is hot, I have seen swarming in the Autumn with a hot spell of weather. If you have a fairly stable temperature through the year then swarming can happen any time. It really depends on your local climate.
Regards

They have started to make the comb,can clearly see the pollen baskets loaded,besides no such episodic betrothal of my bee box.
I think they have decided to stay in now.:blush:

I belong to a tropical country,but ours is a temperate state of india(Jammu and Kashmir,Kashmir division).Though the temp has started to rise but itz quiet cold during nights.The day temp hardly touches 25 - 30 .

1 Like

it must be very beautiful there. I have been near- to Manali and to Leh, Ladakh- but never made Kashmir. One day I hope I can go. Sometimes swarms don’t like the home you give them for some reason and fly away- I had one do that this year. But most times they are very happy to stay.

1 Like

I agree with Jack, sometimes bees don’t like the home we provide. The best way to insure they’ll stay is to provide them with a full frame of young larvae that needs to be immediately fed & nurtured.

A couple of reasons why a swarm leaves what we provide could be the amount of space available for them to build a nest in. It may not measure up to the expectations of the scouts.

The other reason being that the scouts are still in a “looking for a new home” mode. If the scouts get really excited about a different location, they are probably able to persuade the rest of the colony to leave the home we provide to follow them to the home they have decided on.

1 Like

Today i had an inspection of my hive , but it was really a choas. The comb which my bees have formed is not along the frame but across the frames.
Dont knw what to do now. Have left it as it is.

Some of those frames either look sus, or the shoulders have misaligned. I would take out the easiest frame to remove, then start to try to get the combs within each frame, much like what @JamieB has had to recently do. If those frames in the bottom of the photo don’t have any shoulders, you’ll need to space the frames accordingly. Use the frames with the shoulders touching each other as a guide for spacing. Good luck with that, cheers

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Swarm (wild apis cerana indica)management:

A LOCAL BEEKEEPER TODAY TOLD ME THAT ,THESE BEES PREFER WALL HIVES. SINCE I HAVE MADE THEM TO COMB IN THE UNNATURAL HIVE,MAY BE THAT IS WHY THEY HAVE BUILD COMB LIKE THAT.BUT I WILL BE KEENLY OBSERVING THEM TILL A SUPER IS NEEDED.

Your frames are not spaced correctly, the tops of the upright parts of the frames should be touching together to give the correct spacing. If you fix that and remove the bridging comb a lot of that problem will be fixed up.
Regards

3 Likes

Actualy the comb is being built not along the course of frames but across it , i mean to say dt my frames are aligned in N/S direction but the bees are making comb in E/W direction. And not between frames in N/S direction.
That is what i ought to rectify.

And i am not able to examine the frames as it leads to fracturing and bifurcation in the comb.