Termite treatment for my new Flow Hive

I live in the Caribbean and the termites here will eat untreated wood like candy. I’ve seen that Copper Naphthalate (as the active ingredient in a wood preservative) has been used successfully when applied to the exterior of a hive. Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback? I’m running blind here.

Welcome to the forum. If termites are prevelant i would use a cedar hive. They dont care much for cedar. I would seal the outside and the bees will manage the inside. Other than that, use a really good paint on the outside. The bees will still manage the inside.

2 Likes

@JeffH uses copper naphthalate regularly. I believe he dips his woodware completely but it can be brushed on. I’d recommend dipping and treating the full surface of the wood if the conditions and insects are known to be a problem.

@Wizard is correct that the termites don’t care for cedar however cedar is also much more expensive and softer than other regularly available wood for boxes.

1 Like

This is great information. Glad to know what to do if needed. Thanks.

It’s true that I treat all my wood ware with Copper naphthenate, mainly any pine that I’m using, except for the frames. I soak the boxes in it, then after it totally dries, I completely paint the boxes inside & out with at least 2 coats. There’s no ill effects on the bees that I’m aware of.

I have some boxes & lids that had been treated 12 months before painting on the outside only, with no ill effects on the bees, again, not that I’m aware of. That was quite a few years ago, so therefore I’m guessing that the bees have put their own covering over it, during that time.

I find the treatment to be very effective at preventing dry rot, which probably includes ants & termites.

1 Like

The hive that I received is pine. Thus my concern.

I just returned from St Thomas a couple days ago. First time there, beautiful place. But I’m sure the weather/climate is hard on wood. Wondering if it might worthwhile to put it in a semi-sheltered area?

2 Likes

Actually, my concern was that the sections of the Flow Hive do not seem to interlock together. A heavy wind will likely topple the hive.

Hi Balcom and welcome to the forum! I exchange my Flow roofs for standard lids in fall & winter because these allow me to insulate my hives and put bricks on top to prevent wind from lifting off lids. The box sections are generally safe from being blown off because the bees have propolized them together. Some people attach hooks and screws on the sides where they meet to make sure.

If strong winds are on the way in late spring or early summer months when my Flow supers are back on, I use simple tie-down straps to make sure they can’t come off or be knocked completely over by gusts. Two of them linked together will go over a 2-3 box stack plus lid and fasten down under the bench the hives sit on:

Speaking of wind, last September we had several tornadoes come through our area, with one that shredded a swath of woods and rooftops only 3 miles from us. Tornadoes had been unheard of in this region of the US. My straps would’ve been no help.

Thanks for your insight Eva.

1 Like