Using a smoker during fire bans and fire danger periods

The answer is no, maybe and yes… :slightly_smiling: To answer your questions in order:

1. It isn’t vital to use a smoker, but it reduces bee stress and beekeeper stress.
  2. Maybe you can put it off for a few weeks, but if you are worried about swarming, bee space or food stores, you probably need to go in anyway.
  3. Certainly you can suit up and do it without smoke. If you are skilled and far from neighbors, it shouldn’t be a problem. If you are new, it might be very stressful for everyone.

Hope that helps.

Dawn

Where I live in Byron Shire, they direct these types of calls to the local Rural Fire Service.

If Araluen is your location as well as your nic, this will be your contact: Eurobodalla Fire Control Centre: 02 4474 2855

1 Like

Machu Picchu is a great trek but very very busy. When you get to journey’s end you’t can see a blade of grass for day trippers.

Many people, myself included, find that after a couple of years experience they can work their bees without using a smoker at all.

Beginners are naturally anxious and a bit tense, which can result in jerky movements and a rushed inspection, squashed and agitated bees.

Taking things slowly and gently comes with practice, but you will get there in the end, and your bees will barely notice your presence (hopefully!).

A light spray with a water mister will calm the bees, and is far more pleasant for both bees and keeper. I use rainwater as out tap water is heavily chlorinated.

1 Like

For my 50th birthday this year, I’ll be overjoyed just to sink a schooner with my lovely family when in Edinburgh.