Using Flow Hive Frames in a Slovenian Hive

I am new to beekeeping. I currently do not have any hives. Though, I am in the process of buying a Flow Hive from an individual.

I am an older person. Thus, I am looking for ways to avoid lifting hive boxes. The solution that I like is the Slovenian hive. With this hive I would access my bees and frames from the back rather than the top of the box.

During my research I find that I like the idea of a Flow Hive. Though, I have found nothing on merging a Flow Hive with a Slovenian Hive. Thus, I have come up with a couple of ideas of how to accomplish this merge. I am here looking for advice on what may work or might fail.

Idea 1: Install Flow Hive frames into the top compartment of the Slovenian cabinet. Though, my thought is that some modifications would be needed. I have 2 questions that I am looking for answers to.

1. A Slovenian hive uses rods to hold up frames. Would setting Flow Hive frames on 3 rods cause a structural issue with the frames?
  2. Flow Frames are installed in a very tight fit into the box. Would it be impossible to remove frames from the back of a box rather than from the top?

Idea 2: The top of the Slovenian cabinet is from 3/4 to 15/16 of an inch thick. The idea is to cut 1/2 wide slots to the top board to allow setting a standard Flow Frame box on top of the cabinet. Would there be any issue with bees traveling from lower cabinet into the Flow Hive box?

1 Like

Hi JMC did you get an answer to these questions? Have you finished your build?

No replies. My purchase fell through. The person had everything but the Flow Hive frames. Thus, I backed out of the purchase.

In the mean time I am working on creating a Slovenian hive with the idea that I would add the Flow Hive super to the top of the cabinet. My idea would be to replace the top board with a slotted board that includes a 2.5% slope. The Flow Hive super would then go in top.

Not sure if I will complete my project. Doing cost analysis is showing the idea may be expensive. i.e. $800.

1 Like

I am looking into the long langstroth hives with a flow frame and the cost is making me baulk too lol

I’m in the same boat. Been looking into horizontal hives for some time because I’m sure won’t be able to lift heavy supers for long. In my research I came across these guys, saying they have a flow frame compatible long hive. https://www.honey4u.com.au/ if you scroll down the home page you find it. They also have conversion kits to convert two boxes onto a horizontal hive.

I personally don’t like any of their offerings. I rather take my time and make one. As much as like the conveninece of flow frames, I’m still not sure Ill make one

I also would like to gain more beekeeping experience before I commit.

2 Likes

Good luck @jmcjmc1950 making the Slovenian hive with flow frames. I love the idea but the build seems a little too complex/costly at the moment for me.

@Perth thanks for the link, the horizontal conversion looks similar to what I have recently experimented with (posted in another thread I won’t hijack this one :smile:)

@jmcjmc1950 keep us updated. Would love to see how it works out if you give it a go!

2 Likes

I was toying with the idea of using a Flow super, and build a horizontal hive around it, basically extending it on one side. Remove the viewing window and install a QX in its place. Basically making a long hive and slide the flow super on one side, and make a door to access honey.

2 Likes

@Perth it sounds similar to what I had planned. I posted in another this (hope the link works?)

The first hive were moved in last night. I will do the same to the second hive hopefully in the next few days before the rain…

Yes, just saw your thread Karen. I like the simplicity of your design. What I was thinking is more complex - just use the flow super, then build the long hive with thick walls, and a recess on one side to slide in the flow super. I’m actually having second thoughts now about this brainfart of mine because it would be easier to just build it to take flow frames than muck around with a slide-in box.

The only concern I have about your design is the double wall thickness between the boxes, and how the bees will fill wth brace comb. My bees given a chance will fill every vertical space with comb. Otherwise, it is a really straight forward way to get into longhives. Please let us know how it goes, I’m really interested.

2 Likes

I should clarify the cost issue. The cost includes $499 for the Flow Hive super. Thus, the rest of the hive would cost around $300. Per my cost analysis the $300 is on the high side. There are a number of things I could do to cut that cost.

2 Likes

I like this idea. I have the same questions as you do. My son gifted me a flow hive. I had wanted to go in the direction of a Layen but his gift threw me a curve and I ended up ordering a Slovenian because it has the same sized frames as Flow and is easily worked. I too am looking forward to no back pain, yummy honey gain.
Mine will arrive probably Summertime in the Northern Hémisphère 2020. Keep in touch :slight_smile:

If your Slovenian hive is not glued together you should be able to modify it for your Flow Hive. I would replace the top board with a slotted divider board that has a difference of 1 inch from the front to the back. This board would give you over 2.5 degrees slope. Then place your Flow Hive super and top board on top of your Slovinian cabinet.

If the cabinet is glued together then a different design is needed. Could try placing the Flow Hive frames into your Slovenian cabinet. Though, I am not sure how to make this work. i.e. Will support rods hold up Flow Hive frames correctly?

2 Likes

I am looking forward to seeing both hives. The Slovenian hive was purchased June 1 and is in transit from Slovenia. I have not heard from Flow Hive on the status of my Classic Flow Hive, it was purchased from Ontario Canada yesterday.

Thank you jmcjmc for your thoughts on this. I will use each hive as it was intended to be use. I need to learn bee keeping before I start to fudge the engineering of greater minds than mine. I do have lots of ideas, like you do. I will keep in touch and let you know how thing go if you would like that.

Hey there guys / gals - I’m new here… and researching to BEGIN. I’ve zero hives at this point - but given a variety of reasons (some you listed) I’m wanting to begin with a Slovenian Hive with the ability to add flow frames. I’ve been surprised not to find anyone doing this. I found one youtube video where they show it in their build… but real quick… no details and while they say to ask questions, they aren’t responding to me (or other posters) on our questions. So I’m posting here in the hope that this thread will stay alive, and I’ll be able to follow it that way as people post / as hopefully others get to this before me. :slight_smile:

How did your research go? Have you acquired bee hives yet?

I used a slotted divider board in place of top board and put my flow hive harvest box on top. So far this is working for me past two years now. But my hives are installed in a CZ style bee house that I can walk into.

1 Like