The word around the Charlotte, NC area is that vaporizing the hive with oxalic acid is the best and more efficient way to deal with varroa mites. I have a super over my two deeps which I used to winter the bees and still contains honey. And although it’s only February here, my bees (resourceful little creatures that they are) are already bringing in pollen, nectar and making new honey. Here’s the issue: My super is JAMMED full of bees. I’m thinking this hive will probably swarm next month and am getting ready to set out some swarm traps. Did a sugar shake and found more varroa mites than I would like to see so thought it would be good to treat before the hive splits.
My question: Will oxalic acid contaminate the honey? I’ve heard it will not, but the instructions say to not use with honey supers on the hive.