We finally have some bee juice!

It was a nice calm warm day and we had a quick look in the super. Didn’t disturb the brood.
Now I’m confused.

On our last full autumn inspection in May the brood box looked good. Everything you’d expect to see with honey around the edges.
Flow super was full. Every frame both sides.
Total weight 38kg.* Harvested 3 frames.

We just looked into the super.
It’s only about 70% full. Total weight 42.5kg*.

How can the weight be 10% more (a record for our hive) but there’s 30% less honey in it? There’s been no rain for a week, so that’s not the reason for the weight increase.

The reason for feeling the need to look was based on past weight. Thought it would be full, since at 38kg it was full. With wattle and a bunch of gum trees about to explode into flower, I though they might need more space for honey. Guess not.

Discuss.

Cheers
Ron

*weights may not be the ACTUAL weight, I didn’t do the calculations and adjustments to account for the scale being under the back of the hive so that weight might actually be 50% of actual.

Glad it went well for you Ron, and also glad you didn’t try for a full inspection, My reasons are already covered on that subject.
So what you found in the super is that the bees are not bringing in heaps of nectar but you have fared well for the conditions over the past 6 to 8 months compared to most bee keepers across Australia.

I know I will get a bagging from many for saying this. While your scales can tell you that your hive has increased by 4.5 kgs it is giving you just data that has no meaning. You expected an extra 4.5 kgs of honey and found that there is less in the hive, and not more. The extra weight could be from an increase in bees and more wax in the comb, it is so wrong to assume a weight increase is because of more stored honey.

Doing a visual inspection is much more information and you then know exactly where you stand. Even with scales at both ends of a hive it is still only ambiguous data and an inspection still needed to be done. Need I add that I don’t have scales under any of my hives. I do weigh the honey extracted and reclaimed wax, but till there is under hive scales that can tell me a breakdown of bees, wax and honey weight in a hive, well, get the picture Ron.
Look forward to an update when you do the course, cost, where and if you feel it was worthwhile.
I’m heading down to the ANZ Stadium in October for the Military Tattoo, no problem to bring my bee suit if you like :thinking::grinning: My costs are very reasonable, a big mug of black coffee over a chat when the job is done…
I second what @JeffH has said about a ‘honey bound’ brood box, the bees will move honey further away or closer to the brood area to adjust to the changing needs. Spot on Jeff.
Cheers

1 Like

We’d be very happy to provide you with a bucket of black coffee!
Let me know when you’re here.
Cheers
Ron