What are these stoopid bees doing?

After about 300mm (12 inches) of torrential rain and wind in 24hrs, why on earth would these guys be out hanging off the porch ?
They’re alive as my stung finger can attest.
Cheers
Ron

I wonder if some water got into the hive through the roof. The outside bees could be making room for the bees inside trying to dry the hive out. I know it seems stupid for bees to be hanging outside like drowned rats, there must be a reason for it.

cheers

@RonM Hi Ron, I wouldn’t worry to much, my bees did the same thing only I am in Canberra and the temperature was below 20 degrees C. They were dry and no sign of any deaths by the morning, although we didn’t have 300mm of rain :wink: I am sure someone could tell you more but as I am only a newbie :slight_smile:

Wow Ron! 300mm is huge. I reckon Jeff is on the money with a leak or ridiculous humidity. Can you get something over the hive until the rain stops? Poor old drenched bees hanging out the front!

It’s only a 7 month old hive with a good gabled roof so I’d be surprised if it’s leaking. It’s not the flow roof.
I’ve covered it just in case.

It’s supposed to be raining for another 3 days, another 60 to 120mm. A ridiculous amount of rain for Sydney.
I’ve started bulding my ark.

Thanks for the replies, will let you know what I find if the sun ever comes out again.

Cheers
Ron

I am certainly no expert, but, from the looks of it, maybe they are wicking. Meaning, draining water out of the hive via capillary action. The way they are hanging in a continuous line, it would seem to make sense.

1 Like

That’s a lot of rain, send some over here. :hot_face:
I see that your hives have Flow frames in them however the base doesn’t appear to be the original and am wondering which way the base board slopes?

Hi Sam, I like the way you think. I think you’ll be a good beekeeper. I’m not sure if that’s the answer. I think capillary action could be responsible for a gable roof leak. Even if it isn’t a flow roof.

1 Like

Hi skeggley,
It slopes forward. I put a bit of timber under the front when I’m harvesting to tip it back temporarily.

I found that the bottom board that comes with the flow is an absolute Haven of nooks and crannies for wax moth and hive Beatles and the bees can’t clean them up. Since I got the bettletra bottom board we have a lot less of both and the bees keep it spotless.

Cheers
Ron

1 Like

Thanks, I hope to be ! We’ll find out soon.

1 Like