Where to place hive

Given your in Bullsbrook you might want to also post this question in the WA thread.

I’d suggest placing it with a northern exposure (to maximise warmth) and have the entrance facing in an easterly direction to get the morning spring/summer sun. If you get afternoon summer shade, that’s a bonus. Try and avoid somewhere that will be damp and cold for most of winter. Also, direct the entrance (flight path) away from any thoroughfare or path.

The above advice being given, my hive is placed against most of that advice due to my block. I’ve got my hive on a southern exposure with the entrance facing west. It gets mid morning to late afternoon spring/summer sun. It’s up against the house so that helps stabilise winter temperature fluctuations.

Given where we live, your number 1 friend is sun and warmth. By the good graces of our remoteness if we can help the bees keep the hive warm through positioning they take care of most things that will affect their health (we don’t really have any nasties that afflict other parts of the world).

Hive positioning has been discussed in other threads, including that WA one I mentioned. So if you search you’ll find a range of opinions. REMEMBER to flip North/South exposure comments depending on where people are located.

2 Likes