Total Noob here. I received my hive a few weeks ago. It was a complete hive and when I received it I just transferred the 8 frames to my flow hive. As it was rainy and I was nervous, I didn’t really check for the queen back then. The whole time between then and now was rainy and windy and not much opportunity for the girls to go out and forage. I also assume there is not too much nectar around, so I fed them sugar water for these past few weeks.
Yesterday I opened the brood box for the first time and here is the video of the 8 frames, front and back. Make sure you run it at least at 720p to see the details.
As i said, I’m a total noob but what seems obvious to me are these observations:
- I didn’t find the queen (UPDATE: She’s at 02:14 in the video, middle of screen. Thanks to Beast9156!)
- Didn’t see any eggs, but maybe I missed them like my queen…
- didn’t see any pollen
- found some larvae and capped cells but they are scattered all over the place
- I found two supersedure cells on the top third of one frame (00:48 and 01:00)
- saw quite a number of drones, but majority are workers
- about a week ago, I saw lots of activity in front of my hive. On closer inspection, most of them were drones. It seemed they were kicked out of the hive. Some were shaky and tried to fly off but failed and ended up on the ground before the hive.
- Is my hive without a queen? (UPDATE: She’s at 02:14 in the video, middle of screen. Thanks to Beast9156!)
- Why is my brood so scattered?
- are theses swarm cells at the bottom of the frame (Video 01:16)?
- Why are there supersedure cells (Video 00:48 and 01:00)?
- Anything I’m supposed to do now?
- Is there pollen?
I would truly appreciate any tips or recommendations from you experts!
Thank you so much!
Marc (Hong Kong)