Yemen Sidr Honey....Has anyone tried it?

The whole country is being bombed and starved to death. It’s so heartening to see there are pockets of normality amongst the carnage.

Yes I agree Dee…

1 Like

it’s a horrible thing- and little covered in the media. Saudi Arabia- a supposed ally- is using weapons made in the US the UK and probably here in Australia too - sending an already impoverished state back to the middle ages. Imagine what the news would like every day if something similar happened in a rich Western nation?

Back to honey: what with these stories about WA therapeutic honey- and this Yemeni health honey- It’s got me wondering just how therapeutic my good old urban mixed forage honey is? If it’s as therapeutic as it is delicious then it must be off the charts… :sunglasses::money_mouth_face::kissing_closed_eyes: Is there any affordable way to get honey tested? In the meantime I will just increase consumption on the basis that it is very, very good for me- calories be damned.

1 Like

A couple of years ago it cost a hundred dollars to get a honey sample tested. Your honey will certainly be very good however it wont have the same antimicrobial qualities as Manuka honey, for example.

All raw honey can be used to treat wounds, leg ulcers etc. Apparently not as fast acting as the good stuff.

I have one apiary in the hills that is right beside a large field of Melaleuca. The tea trees have been in full bloom ever since I moved the hives there. I would love to get that honey tested, maybe I will? With urban hives the bees must forage off such a variety of species- I wonder if by luck they pick of therapeutics. Also I am hearing more and more about how beneficial honey is to the good gut microbes- which we are now seeing is linked to so many inflammatory diseases etc.

They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away- I wonder about a tablespoon of honey?

I think you are correct about the tablespoon of honey a day.

Would you suspect that tea tree honey to be jelly bush honey? If so, you can do what I did & extract the regular honey out of the frames first. That leaves the jellybush honey behind. Then you can scoop out the almost pure jellybush honey later. A lot of jellybush honey did spin out with the regular honey. You can see the little balls of jelly honey flowing out of the honey gate.

You know you have jelly bush honey when after you’re done straining it into a bucket, the bubbles don’t come to the surface. Plus the surface doesn’t make it’s own level & become uniform. You can see where the last few drops landed. Really something to behold, with a bit of wow factor.

I have no idea what type of tea tree it is- it has pure white flowers and is a smaller scrub type plant. Maybe I will take some photos of it next time I am there. I also don’t know how much the bees will focus on it as they have a lot to choose from there- two national parks full of eucalypts, a large organic fruit orchard- lots of blackberries and many many small wildflowers. I will be inspecting those hives for the first time since I put supers on then 8 weeks ago soon- very keen to see how things have progressed. I have high hopes for that location.

It sounds good Jack. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Not much happening here, it’s too hot to do anything.

Honey is amazing for wound healing. I used it myself, and very little scar tissue. So much nicer than petroleum products for your skin.

1 Like

We had beek friends with a connection at the University who tested the pollen in their honey one season with spectroscopy, and they made pie charts to go on each jar showing the percent :hugs: it was fun to see, but I think would be too expensive to do regularly.

I’d love to see the percents for our honeys and wish I knew someone with the right equipment :microscope:who would take honey in trade :honey_pot:

http://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-buzz-is-it-the-honey-it-says-it-is-two-ways-to-tell/

1 Like

A couple of years ago it cost a hundred dollars to get a honey sample tested. Your honey will certainly be very good however it wont have the same antimicrobial qualities as Manuka honey

1 Like

This is an old post but I still want to share that with the growing number of honey is a lot of confusion about whether the product you are buying is real honey or just a cheap substitute. To help you purchase the real thing, we will look at how you can determine whether what you’re buying is real honey or just something else.

Here is the URL of a related article about the differences between raw and organic honey: Organic Honey vs Raw vs Pure - Which is the Best? – Nature's Glory .

If you click on this, get ready for some “in your face” advertising.
It may not be as bad as I’m making out. To me it’s in your face.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up Jeff - I went ahead and flagged it.

2 Likes

Hi Chrisial,
Thanks for the article.
Note that most members of the forum have their own beehives, so will not be at risk of purchasing cheap honey substitutes. Just one of the reasons to harvest your own!
However, they may find some of this information useful in terms of promoting sales of their own honey at local farmers markets etc.
For newcomers to the thread - yes there is definitely a promotional element to this link - so avoid opening it if you wish, or you may choose to read the article regardless, if it’s of particular interest.

2 Likes