Yemen Sidr Honey....Has anyone tried it?

We participated in the Gulfood Show in Dubai this year and we had an opportunity to try Sidr honey. It is a very full bodied, dark honey. The price has more to do with cultural significance than taste, quality, health benefits, etc. Unfortunately a lot of honey is sold as Sidr honey even though it is not, so you must purchase from a reputable source to be sure you’ve got the real thing.

Now that describes my winter honey to a tee.

That seems to be true for all kinds of honey. There is a lot being sold as Sourwood or Tupelo or Orange blossom or Buckwheat that is not what it says…

Manuka springs to mind.
I have heard it said that even though the honey is exported to countries other than the UK more Manuka is sold here than is licensed in NZ.

Wow. I hardly ever hear “winter” and “honey” in the same sentence and when I do, it’s not what it tastes like, it is whether it is going to run out.

1 Like

We went to Tupelo specifically to buy some Tupelo honey. After a lot of driving around, we finally got some, it wasn’t cheap. We assumed it was genuine, however during the process we got introduced to Kudzu Blossom Jelly. That was nice. I’m probably one of the rare Ausies that knows about Kudzu Blossom Jelly. Then there’s hush puppies. All the other Ausies think of hush puppies as shoes.

Winter?
All my bees do in winter is eat their stores

Living in the sub-tropics does have it’s advantages, we can grow some beautiful things, however the summers can get very humid. The term “winter honey” was fresh on my mind because we a have a customer that always wants our “winter honey”. She was here the other day.

The thing I’m always looking for in the US South is fried okra. mmmm. My mouth is watering now…

For a brief moment I thought you were going to say fried grits:)

Fried corn meal mush with butter and honey is pretty nice… but I’m not fond of grits.

1 Like

American Version of Bahjees

Someone told me the other day that cream cheese and honey goes well together. It sounded good as I love both and today as I was set up to sell my honey at a little coffee shop I had bought my bage and cream cheese and sitting there with 100 pounds of honey it didn’t even dawn on my to try it, not till after I ate my yummy bagel. Shucks I must be getting old timers disease.

1 Like

I use cream cheese and honey instead of icing on cakes - very tasty!! started doing this in 1980 - very trendy then on carrot cake.

BTW back then I worked on Toorak Rd South Yarra in Melbourne, I would make 2 or 3 carrot cakes a day and a dozen other cakes as well - little coffee shop - can’t remember what it was called just down the hill from Chapel Street

2 Likes

Wow, that sounds like a great tip. I’ll let Wilma & our daughter know about that one.

How did your honey sales go? I hope you made a killing:)

Not a killing but it gets better as more people learn I have bees. First one in a long time that does. I am amazed at how many people don’t like honey. The Farmers Market yesterday was real windy and it was blowing tents over, so a lot of vendors left and not a lot a people showed up, so kind of slow. Today was better for me here in town though and not windy, much.

I only sell mine at the door on a byo container basis. I sell it at the going wholesale price plus a little bit more for small quantities.

i tried it! its not bad. If you want to read more you can check out this article on sidr honey

It’s interesting to read that it helps with erectile dysfunction, among other things. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like