Already preparing for next Spring. Building hive bodies

Well, I’ve gone full beekeeper and started thinking 6 months ahead. A few mornings of making short work like this and we’ll be all set.
This was SO much more fun than ordering hive bodies online :wink:

6 Likes

Bobby,

That’s a special video young man … Great job. I need to make some 5 frame Nuc Boxes. If plans GO Okay … I’d like to try n winter over 3 or 4 each winter !! Just a dream … I have one to try it on this winters.

Thankz for sharing,
Gerald

1 Like

I have real workshop envy!

3 Likes

It is so satisfying making them, when you get to put the finished pieces together, complete, too.

2 Likes

“I have real workshop envy!”

you obviously didn’t see me crawling around on the floor in my hallway building my hot wax deep fryer yesterday… space is at a premium…

very nice work @Bobby_Thanepohn Rebates will be completely fine- but you could have done box joints with that dado blade you used for the handholds. Here’s a video if you want to get fancy and try it out next time:

2 Likes

Me too @Dee. It’s fortunate that my best friend keeps bees and has a wood shop in his basement too. Last Spring when I told him I’d ordered a Flow Hive he replied, “Really!? I just started beekeeping too!” so we’ve been helping each other out ever since. Funny how we started completely independent of each other.
Exactly a year ago he gave me the books First lessons in Beekeeping and “Beekeeping for Dummies”.

Thanks for sharing that video @Semaphore. We are going to have to try that!

Dee,

I’m with YOU ! Bobbys woodshop is awesome ! I have a nice Wood shop but not as Roomy …
Mine is 12x20’ … So I have had to buy a pop-up canopy to put my wood lathe n miter saw under. I keep plastic tarps over these so in rain weather they don’t get wet n rusted ! Yip His I envy :smile::wink::+1:

Ta ta,
Gerald

Ha ha I love it. It looks just as crowded as my husbands.

1 Like

Really? Looks more like 6’ x 10’ - you need to persuade Vera to let you take over some of the house!! :smile:

I likely will paint them something random. The oops paint at Home Depot is okay with me.

I have yellow, brown, green, white, tan, waxed and tung-oiled boxes as it is. Too late to shoot for any uniformity now LOL

1 Like

Oh, blue too. Forgot there’s a blue on out there.

1 Like

Dawn,

Shisssssh ! Every once in awhile I use the kitchen n living room to assemble hives.

couple project taking over the living room n kitchen.

Ta ta,

Gerald

1 Like

one thing though if you do: I wouldn’t go for 3/4" joints- they are quite small and require more screws. I would look at the box joint pattern on the flow hoop pine hives (or similar hives) where the joints are 7/8" and the topmost joint is interlocking with the frame rest rebate… that pattern works very well for the screw holes: 6 screws for deeps and 4 for mediums and shallows, and is very neat- also less joints to cut:

It does however require more work setting up the blades for several different widths…

I skip the joints. Its easier to put the time into building a bad ass thick hive :slight_smile:

4 Likes