Beekeepers in the Dandenongs

@Kirsten_Redlich she was in the Gully but moved to Monbulk recently. She is on here but not sure if she has a flow @jenni_piper

Hi Kirsten, I am in Monbulk, still in the midst of starting up my hive (not a flow) .

There are two Beekeeping Clubs nearby too which I highly recommend.
Coonara Beekeeping Club - Meets 2nd Wed of each Month (except Jan) - Ferntree Gully
Yarra Valley Bee Group - usually meets on a Sunday in Wesburn.
Check my website under Clubs & Associations for their contact info. A great bunch of people and both clubs are really welcoming.
Also, I run workshops & sell all all the gear too and am in Kallista.
Hope to connect with you sometime. Thanks Bec

4 Likes

thanks for the info Bec. I’ve visited your website & was planning a visit this weekend for some bits & pieces. I have been to Coonara too & will def. check out Yarra Valley. Am lucky really there are quite a few people in the area. I suppose I was thinking that it would be good to actually meet with people face to face where it’s possible who are on the forum as well.
Look forward to meeting you :grinning:

Hi Jenni I’m also in the process of setting up my hive (not a Flow) at this stage just want to get it going after years of watching the ones who made our garden home & catching their swarms for other people. I am planning to try out the Flow next year in combination I think.
If you & Elissa are interested could maybe plan for coffee & bee chat next couple of weeks?

1 Like

Hi Kirsten, sounds like a great idea. Maybe in January as Christmas is fast approaching! Would love to get together though.

1 Like

It is! January sounds good :grinning:

Hi Kirsten_Redlich,
I live in the Dandenong Ranges and a newbee (18mths) learning everyday. I am a member of the Yarra Valley Bee Group and have met some very interesting beepeeps as well. I am situated in Macclesfield and know of 4 other beepeeps in the area. What part of the DR’s are you in? I have a complete Flow Hive but as yet utilised, maybe next season? I’m interested in the great range of indigenous plants that you have mentioned especially bee foraging ones. Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark we are in the Basin area, so over the other side, would still be great to meet up. I will be coming to Yarra Valley Bee Group in the New Year, I’ve heard good things.
The Knox Environmental Society is thinking about getting a couple of hives, and although we’ve just missed the best time to plant I thought if people were interested in indigenous forage for bees I could arrange something at KES, so can see the plants and start planning for next spring? Also they are happy to work with price if you’re getting a few & they are much cheaper than a nursery already. Tubestock & next size up generally only a few dollars. It’s usually best to plant them when small as they have stronger growth (& quicker, double/triple size in one season) when planted, there’s a specimen garden there too so you can see what they become. I suppose its too close to Christmas for most people now, but if anyone is interested in early New Year am happy to organise. :grinning:
What sort of bees do you have?

1 Like

Hi Kirsten, we are close by, be good to see you and catch up at the next meet which will be February. I’m sure there will be others interested in plants as well. Yes Christmas is upon us and yes it’s the busy period especially for me being a firefighter and lots of other commitments. Enjoy your Christmas with the family and will speak with you in the new year.
Mark

1 Like

I’ll see you at the meeting in Feb. And will wait & see if any other interest in plants…Hope you have a very quiet time at work this summer, & a lovely Christmas. Look forward to hearing from you New Year.

1 Like

I notice you guys are near the TBB (The Bunyip Bee Keeper) any you folks after Nucs? Get in Quick

1 Like

I manage a number of hives around The Basin / Belgrave / Emerald area :smile: I have a few lease hives in the area and carry out onsite training/maintenance packages for clients.

Thanks Valli, only have a few nucs left for early Jan then that s it until next spring :wink:

Cheers,

William Rogers
The Bunyip Beekeeper

1 Like

Hi I live in Boronia, and I am keen to get into hobby beekeeping, I plan to make my own hives, I am thinking of making a Lang long hive and make it so it can take the flow frames, does anyone have any old hives I could use as a guide for measurements etc. that I could have?

Caleb

OK There are Top Bar Hives the traditional way or you can make a more oblong bodied one, which would be better for fitting your Flow Frames.

Can I suggest getting the pattern for the traditional TBH and making it oblong to the dimensions of a brood box only 3 times as long.

There are loads of patterns to be had but you need it to accommodate traditional Langstroth Frames or go frame-less and just be able to fit the Flow Frames

This is from the Barefoot Beekerp - Ive been on one of Phil’s courses
http://timeinventorskabinet.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/ami/ami/how_to_build_a_top_bar_hive-02.pdf

This is a video fro you tube

All you need is an ordinary brood frame and you can build your box around that.
Top bar beekeeping is not for beginners in my opinion as it is difficult to inspect them. Learn to handle your bees in a traditional hive then make a top bar if you like

@Caleb_Wallace Caleb I notice the Collingwood Children’s Farm have just what you are looking for.

See if you can contact them for more info. They are just off Studley road in Collingwood/Abbotsford area
https://www.facebook.com/collingwood.bees/ you may be able to go visit if you ask - probably take you an hour to get there unless you come on the new link road I get the impression it’s a toll road though.

From Kew junction it is just up off Studley park road ( I used to live in Kew)

Thankyou so much for your information, it looks like I am taking the kids to collingwood children’s farm soon!!!

1 Like

For anyone that is interested I started making my Long Hive, here are a few pictures, I still have a fair bit to do in cutting entries and ventilation, however I am pretty happy with what I have done so far!, I will be adapting it for the flow frames, once I order and receive them, my plan is to be ready for Bees in spring, still 9 months away, but I am quite excited about it.

2 Likes

What a beautiful work of art.
I have mostly poly hives but I do like the look of wooden ones.
My next project…well, one day, will be to make a double skinned Lang long hive and fill the cavity with insulation. The bees will then be in a “tree”