Making creamed honey?

Anyone make creamed honey? If so, what method do you use? I just came across this blog and recipe and I’m not sure what to make of it. It involves adding previously creamed honey as a ‘seed’ to achieve creamed honey. Where does the original creamed honey come from… What came first the chicken or the egg… And why did the egg cross the road?

3 Likes

I agree with most of that though I think 43˚ is a tad too high to heat your honey to melt all the crystals. I prefer around 35-38 and I use a honey warming cabinet over a few days. (In an oven set this high you lose some of the honey’s taste …bits are overheated). You must be thorough in melting all your crystals because your soft set will set on the largest crystals present.
The seed can be bought soft set honey or your own crystallised, ground down in a pestle and mortar or a food processor till you can’t feel any crystals in your mouth.
When you stir, don’t introduce any air. If you are doing any amount you can buy a food grade screw that attaches to a drill.
12-15˚C is the optimum temperature for making soft set.
Some people will make a whole bucket then warm it slightly later to jar it but I prefer to jar straightaway.
This is the only way you can deal with OSR (Canola)
This is a nice youtube clip showing you how to go about it

3 Likes

I never heat it. I just add the seed and put it on the window sill in cool weather. Ideal temperature is 57 F (14° C). You can make seed by grinding crystallized honey with a flour grinder until it’s smooth.

2 Likes

You need to heat only if it is already crystallised otherwise there is no point

Creamed Honey is making a comeback where I live, I don’t heat it either and originally purchased a variety of commercial creamed honey’s a couple years back until I found the one that was perfectly smooth like silky butter. Once you begin making it, just hold back a jar each time as your seed for the next batch. Just recently I have started making creamed honey in bars like you see butter in the supermarket and wrapping them in soft cheese wrappers after bending a knife or two trying to dig it out of the jar. Its addictive stuff and my favourite way to eat honey on toast, hope you enjoy making it as much as I do. Cheers.

5 Likes

I’d like to see that :smile:
My soft set is the consistency of buttet

hi just put mine in my mams kenwood mixer and let it cream that way still have some from 3 years ago still ok

2 Likes

The finished product at the market over the weekend, we sold out so that’s a good sign. This stuff is just magic on a cheese platter.

6 Likes

Wow. I’d love a go at that. Can you tell me exactly how you do it and does it work with any honey. Please

1 Like

@Eva here is a thread on creamed honey!!

1 Like

Thanks!! @Rodderick, those bars look beautiful! I’ve never seen it packaged that way & I’ll bet it’s a hit.

2 Likes

Hi Dee, I have only done this with urban australian honey but I know a guy who uses clover to get a pure white product. You mix 1 part seed (the best quality you can get your hands on) and 10 parts liquid honey. Then pour into molds and refrigerate for 6-8 weeks… Thats it!

5 Likes

Thank you. I presume you keep it in the fridge after you buy it. Wonderful. I’m going to have a go at that

Hey Dee, once it has set there is no longer any need to keep in the fridge, the pantry will be fine. Oh and I use a planetary mixer with a whisk fitting, I found that the whisk is the best attachment to break down the seed. Let me know how you get on.

3 Likes

@Rodderick Is there a trick to removing the honey from the mold at the end of the 6 weeks so that it doesn’t stick and become messy-looking?

Also, I’m curious - it’s been about a year since you posted about that. Are you still creating this “bar honey” and having luck selling it?

Hi Ryan,
Yes, I am still creating the creamed honey bars. They are almost as popular as the creamed honey in a jar. I use silicon moulds as they are hygienic and flexible, after 4-6 weeks in the fridge they just pop out of the mould. We are also enrobing chocolate around creamed honey centers which is quite popular also.

8 Likes

this is crazy! My mum just ‘invented’ the identical technique! She’s been making creamed honey in jars- then thought a block would be easier to get at. She found the right paper like they use to wrap up butter etc, and used silicon moulds just like you. We never saw this thread on the flow forum. She just showed me her first ‘prototype’ bar a few days ago… it’s practically identical to yours. I suggested selling them at gourmet cheese places for cheese platters too.

can I ask- have you had any issue with them melting in warm weather? I was thinking they may need to be refrigerated in summer

1 Like

Hi Michelle, no problems with the bars through winter but we advise our customers to keep it in the fridge and take it out 10mins before serving much the same way you would treat butter. What I have found is that you need to get the consistency right, any imperfections will show up when you pop it out of the mould.

1 Like

Yes- your bar looks very perfect. I’m amazed how identical yours look to mums. She’s been pioneering this idea over the last month quite oblivious that it is a road already trodden.

I wonder if they sell honey like this in Europe? I know creamed honey is very popular in France.

To be honest, I haven’t seen it done anywhere else, except for the Stephens in Tasmania who make crytallised honey in a block. I have been making and selling it like this for about 18 months after a few months or testing and trialling different seed ratios. It sure makes a difference for some people who struggle to get it out of the jar especially my jars which has corners so gives me a point of difference in marketing it.

1 Like