New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

I’m in Western Australia, with 30 acres.

I’ve purchased 3 flow hives and will soon be getting the boxes to set up.
Never played with bees before but am looking forward to it.

bye bye

Hello, all. My name’s Ruth. My husband and I are eagerly anticipating the arrival of our Flow Hive as we’ve been wanting to start beekeeping for years now. We live in the city of Louisville, KY US in an old neighborhood full of 100+ year old houses and trees.

I was a beekeeper in the 1980s and early 1990s so this is a return to something I loved doing. As soon as our bee suits arrive, we’ll be tracking down local beekeeping groups to re-acquaint ourselves with beekeeping husbandry. So excited!

2 Likes

Hi I am Jürgen from frankfurt am main any news here in germany? 0177 55 32675

Hi everyone. I sell Australian honey online at www.tastyhoney.com, and I ‘blog’ about bees and honey at www.tastyhoney.com/blog. I’m also a registered and a practising beekeeper here in Victoria, Australia and am looking forward to getting my Flowhive sometime soon. I hope the Flowhive technology will make it easier for more people to keep bees and harvest honey.

We’re planning a move to southwest Virginia in time to receive and set up our Flow Hive. Are you in that area, by chance?

Hey looking at this setup to start a hive for the garden, but I live in MN and have been told the flow hive wouldn’t work in this climate?
I got this info from the U of M bee lab… please let me know what u think… ty

G’day Isaiah, the best advice I could offer is to check the credentials of the people at the university, also visit your local beekeeping club, ask lots of questions there. Weigh up the cost of a traditional hive vs a Flow hive. If you start off with a traditional hive first, as long as you use deep Langstroth hive bodies, you won’t be wasting any money. All you will need are the Flow frames at a later stage, if you decide to go that way.

1 Like

I think it’s likely they don’t know what they are talking about.

Unless they base that opinion on direct personal experience with the system then I would move along.

Academics hate change ; -)

2 Likes

Hi @Isaiah_Huntosh, there is absolutely no reason why the Flow Hive would not work in your climate. Harvesting honey is generally a spring, summer or autumn activity depending on your floral nectar flows in the area. During winter, you could either remove the Flow frames and super or leave for the bees to consume , the choice is yours.

Hi All, I am a mixed farmer, fruit and vegetable grower, geochemist and beekeeper with about 300 hive. I have been keeping bees since I was about 5 yo. I’m live in that Central Tablelands of NSW Australia. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi from San Antonio! My husband and I had already bought our land with plans to create a lavender farm and apiary and were in the process of choosing beekeeping equipment when flow hive was launched on indiegogo. We jumped in with both feet during the first hour of the campaign. I’d like to say that recognizing something brilliant and going for it is a Texan thing…but obviously other people took the plunge too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: We are completely new to beekeeping but are so excited to be on this adventure with so many enthusiastic fellow new-bees and experienced beekeepers.

1 Like

Hi I’m an enthusiastic beekeeper in central Ohio in the USA. I have been beekeeping for about eight years now. I love doing anything beekeeping and like trying new types of hives, observation hives and different techniques of beekeeping. I have top bar hives, clay pot hives, Warre hives, A variety of observation hives and my latest is a Sun hive that I have just built. I am now very excited to try out the flow frames and show them off to all my beekeeping friends.

You are joining lots of innovative Beeks here at FlowHive. You might start a thread on how you are thinking of using the flows. In a conventional Lang, or maybe in one of your more unusual designs?

Well done Tiffaney, good luck with everything, cheers

Hi Dale, it’s great to hear of your passion for beekeeping & the different ways you keep bees, good luck with the flow hive, cheers & smiling at ya.

Hello everyone from Canton, Ohio USA. I’m will hopefully be a new beekeeper soon. I have been attending some beekeepers meetings locally and want to do this. I’m nervous about it obviously since I haven’t done it before but I think this flow hive is the answer to making a newbie successful. I’m sure there is a lot of information on here for me to gather. I’m glad this is here and hope that I can be a valuable part of this community as I’m sure I will have questions also. Thank you.

Elisabeth in Kitsap County, Washington. I have 2 hives, one started from a nuc last spring and one from a package this spring. Package bees are doing great, and I will be adding a super this weekend. Original hive is, unfortunately, very weak due to my ineptitude earlier this season. They are making a new queen, so I hope they will build up in time for winter. It’s like a ghost town in there right now. Learning every day.

Hi Elisabeth, consider combining your hives into one if the weak hive does not have enough numbers to get through the winter. Its better than losing the whole lot and you can split next spring if all is going well. Best of luck.

Hi guys

We are a family of 6 also living in Auckland and can’t wait for the flow give to arrive. We should see if we can set up an AKL Flowhive section in the forum and keep in touch

Thank you, Rodderick. I have considered combining, but am giving the hive time to recover. Are you in the PNW? If ao, you will know that we’re in for a long summer, which I hope will work to their advantage. I’m about to add a super to my newer hive, as they seem ready for it and the flow is on. They are already two deeps with the top one almost built. This week’s inspection ahould tell me more. Thanks for the advice and encouragement :blush:

1 Like