New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

Thanks I have already been in contact with them thank you. I want to make honey ideally and this is why i would like to get a flow hive. I would rather not have to keep pestering the bees and let them get on with their work and think that this offers the best of both.

Hi @Valli

Where can i find this group?

Thanks

@WallBees https://www.facebook.com/groups/1621214464763117/?ref=bookmarks

You will still have to look inside the brood box weekly from end March till August for swarm control. If your bees swarm you will lose your crop.

1 Like

Well done dexter. Itā€™s about time such novices were disabused of the ā€œease of the flow systemā€
Itā€™s not their fault, itā€™s the fault of the advertising. There is no easy way to ā€œkeep beesā€
It requires dedication, knowledge and sympathyā€¦oh and no holidays through ā€œthe seasonā€
Itā€™s not called a ā€œcraftā€ for nothing

1 Like

@dangerous Iā€™m a newBee as you know. As such I find it a bit harsh the jumping on the newbies. It makes them feel how others feel in the Old timers forums when they get trounced on.

OK I came in blind but I have done my best to learn as much as I can. One of the reasons I was asked to be a Mod was because Iā€™m a NewBee and enthusiastic. We may not know much to begin with but you have to be fair and patient.

I can understand where you are coming from but you oldies are sometimes quite disparaging of new comers.

If you get the newBies backs up they will be reluctant to return and ask questions and learn and we will have people dropping out as we may seem unhelpful and ā€œKnow it Allā€

Everyone has something to offer, Can we all just let the newbies find their feet

1 Like

@DextersShed

It is possible to be informative with out being brutal.

Do I still seem that wet behind the ears??

When I first signed up for Flow I was not that much different to these new guys - But I threw myself into learning what I could lay my hands on.

Iā€™m sure there are Newbies here who will do the same.

At least if we can get conversations going we can help those that are prepared to take off the rose glasses and pull their sleeves up

1 Like

Nevertheless.
People who know nothing about keeping bees should be steered in the right direction. There is nothing brutal about it.
I was, after all, blaming the advertisements not the novices and Iā€™m sure the inventors of the flow will respond to me if they feel aggrieved.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,
I began beekeeping here in NC this past March. We have two hives and they seem to be doing well. We harvested a small amount of honey in July. My friend and I are experimenting with buckwheat. We planted one acre of buckwheat in the vicinity of the hives and the colony enjoyed the nectar from July till the middle of September. Our flowhive arrives in February of 2016. I would be interested in hearing from anyone in this area of the country and their expereince with the flowhive
Steve

Hello! I am in south Anchorage and looking forward to getting the flow hive up and going in the spring. I have a neighbor doing traditional hives and teaching me. Curious if there are others near Anchorage that are doing the Flow Hive? Would you send me your email address? I would very much like to stay in touch. My Flow Hive is expected to arrive in November.

Crikey I didnā€™t know bees were kept that far north. Youā€™ll get a lot of fireweed there which they will love.
I was there one July; drove to Dawson City via Whitehorseā€¦had a wonderful time the whole trip.
I suppose you would have to bear proof your hive?

Spent my life in the Rockies in Wyoming. Worked for a Bee keeper there (prior to countless other careers) and have recently moved to North Texas. I have lived in many parts of the USA and done every kind of work you might imagine. I think I am currently in an excellent bee keeping location. I pray to fulfill my dream of decades to have my own bee operation (as compared to simply being a laborer for another owner) I Just signed a few minutes ago and like you others am filled with hope and good tidings. Bless you All

Location: Jersey Shore (yes, that Jersey Shore and no, those idiots werenā€™t really from here)
Experience: Absolutely ZERO

I stumbled on this new bee hive and it looked incredibly interesting. Iā€™m doing my research now and I think I may find myself the proud owner of some new toy/tool/food provider in the near future. Iā€™ll be here gather information and when I think Iā€™m ready Iā€™ll place my order. If there is anything specific you think I should know feel free. Otherwise Iā€™ll just lurk for a bit.

Iā€™m tracking down the local Bee Keepers now. Iā€™m not really the kind to just jump into things. If I have this all up and running in a year or two Iā€™ll be surprised. I live in a beachy, coastal area. Anything specific I should be aware of?

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Catherine in Southern California. My mom, aged 85, has had a bee hive in the yard of her tract home, where I grew up, for some 25+ years. The bees just set up shop in a 50 gallon drum she had around. She has never harvested any honey as there is no way to get to the hive inside the barrel unless youā€™re a bee and can fit through the bung like they do. As far as we know, the bees have been perfectly happy and healthy all these years. They donā€™t bother Mom, she doesnā€™t bother them. Untilā€¦ last week when they swarmed and tried to set up shop in an old TV cabinet sheā€™s using as a plant shelf on her front porch. Since it is right next to her front door, itā€™s not an ideal place for them. We managed to discourage them, I think, with perfumed room spray and lots of flapping with newspapers. Later, I remembered seeing the Flow Hive on the interwebs. Does anyone think the bees would relocate to a Flow Hive on their own? Or would we need to have a bee expert relocate the Queen? I think a Flow Hive would be absolutely fascinating for Mom, but neither one of us knows anything about bees other than if you leave them alone they will maintain their own hive for at least a quarter century. The Flow Hive seems like the best solution now that the barrel is rusting and the bees are trying to leave. The bees could be re-homed and maybe Mom could harvest a little honey. What does everyone think?