Western Nebraska, Eastern Wyoming Panhandle Beekeeping

Hi Techieg33k
I’m new to beekeeping (I’m in the reading researching stage) I live a few miles north of Morrill. Are there any local classes offered? Either in Scottsbluff or even Torrington? I saw that Eastern NE offered classes but I teach at Morrrill and can’t attend.
Thanks!

I haven’t found any classes ever in our part of the state. UNL Extensions Center had one in North Platte or Grand Island last year I think. I didn’t go as it just didn’t work out for me. So far I am just going it alone for local support and otherwise reading and discussing a TON on the forums here. I got a NUC shipped from North CA and if I had to do it again I’d try to get a NUC or Package, but ether way I’d try to get them sourced somewhat locally. I heard that one of the guys from the Cheyenne Facebook Beekeeper group had/has some NUCs and maybe even packages that are sources from western WY I think it was.

1 Like

The Nebraska Beekeepers Association has spread out some since I started. I was in Mitchell and they always met near Omaha… so of course I never joined. Now they occasionally seem to have things out as far as the middle of the state. UNL used to do classes as far west as Sidney. I haven’t kept up. I only knew one other beekeeper back in the 70s when I started. He was just north of Mitchell. So pretty much I was on my own. Just the books and me blundering around making mistakes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was too late to order local bees this year so I’m just going to get my boxes painted and set up for next year. I found a woman south of Morrill who has offered to teach me this summer. So, my plan for this year is to learn as much as possible and give it a go next year. I joined the Eastern WY Facebook site and found there were several others around the Mitchel/Morrill area.
Thanks again!

Very cool to hear! Glad you had better luck than I did when I was looking last year.