So based on my observations of the weight of the hive I waited to do my inspection this morning until it was at least 70 F outside so I could guarantee that the most number of bees were in the field rather then still at home.
I did find the queen during my inspection but I didn’t go out of my way to find her, I guess doing all those queen finding picture exercises paid off lol
There were eggs, and larvae. At best guess from looking at pictures I would say the oldest were around 5-6 days old. They were fairly large but still curled in the C-shape. Does that sound about right to everyone else?
There were somewhat limited stores of nectar or stored syrup, and not as much pollen as I was expecting so more then I anticipated is being used to rear the brood. There are still good amounts of pollen coming in so my debate is whether to give them one more run of syrup. I’m thinking I may give them one more quart of syrup to help get the comb drawn as quickly as possible so the queen has plenty of space to lay. There were 2 frames that were approx 3/4 drawn each on both sides, and 2 frames that were about half drawn on the side nearest the center, and then very minimal comb on 2 more out from that. The two most outward frames had no comb drawn which is what I was expecting. I was actually not expecting to see any comb built on the second frames in from the edge but there was some so that was good to see.
I had intended to get pictures but I don’t know how you guys handle the camera and the hive at the same time, maybe after I get a few more inspections under my belt. It was a bit windy here today too so I didn’t want to risk chilling the brood(not sure what temp you really have to start worrying about that as much).