Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

ABC's of Beekeeping

Attention all veteran beekeepers! Please share your knowledge and experience with all the newbies who just bought their new FLOW. Thanks in advance!

hi,

when I purchased my first beehive and was at the keepers house, the bees seemed to be in the top and bottom boxes…

since being home, I have let them be for 2 weeks up until the last weekend…

so when I took the top off and pulled the top frames, I noticed that hardly any bees were in the top box and most of the wax was empty of honey… looks like they’ve had a clean out…

come the bottom box… zillions of them were in there…

it seems that they are setting themselves up for winter in the bottom box… but from what I’ve read, they set themselves up in the top box in winter?

im not fussed which box they set up in as long as they survive the coming winter…

so im just wondering if this is all normal…

and also, do I take the top box off for winter?

Hi Andrew, I have same issue in Sydney Aust, 3 hives operating as single brood boxes with a queen excluder and honey super on top. Autumn now and the bees have raided the honey from the supers and have all migrated to the bottom box. There is not much flowering in my area so I am guessing they are preparing for winter. Not too worried about it and am planning to check on the warm days to make sure they have enough stores, if not then will give them 1-2 litres of sugar syrup to help them along.
Where are you located? How cold does it get? and is there any forage for the bees during winter?

@Andrew Not everyone has a second box on for winter - if the bees have made arches of Honey, and pollen on the end frames - that is their winter stores if there is insufficient bees for a second box of bees/brood/stores some people feed Fondant in winter to make sure there are enough stores.

The Fondant has less moisture and therefore no need to worry so much about condensation

thanks for the replies…

I live in Warrnambool Vic and it seems everything went well over winter… I live in town next to a small river and it seems that there’s plenty of food and water here around for them…

I ended up having drones all winter as testament to how much food is around during winter so im very very happy…

when I opened the Hive after winter a few weeks back - only just starting to get warm - I was surprised to find two full boxes of bees… they were nearly chockers… so I put a third box on last week and they have just started to come into that box for construction work on the new wax frames…

all very interesting :slight_smile:

@Andrew I know your Mayor!! His wife and I have been friends for more than 30 years.

Do you get kangas in the back paddocks?

Hi Doc, your most welcome, I’m doing the best I can.