Almost ready to Harvest my rooftop hive in Los Angeles

I will have to photograph the trunk next time I drive past. I don’t think that the bark is as red as the red ironbark, but memory plays tricks sometimes. :wink:

Hi @Dawn_SD, I asked my botanist friend and she pretty much confirmed what you already know but am passing on her reply anyway. :slight_smile:

I am pretty sure it is Eucalyptus leucoxylon or sideroxylon. E, Leucoxylon has 3 flowers to a branch and a rough bark up to 2m, grows to 16m. E sideroxylon has 7 flowers to a branch and with a dark, deeply furrowed bark grows to 35m.

The flowers look similar

1 Like

Thank you so much, @skeggley. Actually, “I know nothing, Jon Snow”, despite your vote of confidence. :blush: I am just glad that our bees had a feast during a usual time of dearth. :wink:

I’m pretty lucky to have a friend who used to be the head botanist at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Park,_Western_Australia
Pretty lucky to have Kings park too I guess.
And I’ll be harvesting today too, I blinked and missed the frames being filled and capped…

3 Likes

New to this entirely and find it fascinating and a hobby that is really worthwhile. I live in Windsor Square in Los Angeles and placed a Nuc on my Garage roof nearly two weeks ago. It seems like they are out working without a problem. I placed 5 full frames of Italian honey bees I purchased from Bill’s Bees along with 3 empty frames. I’ve heard to leave them alone for a little while up front is a good idea as to let them establish. Any idea how long I should wait to place super flows on top?

My yard and many of the homes in my neighborhood are full of citrus trees and flowers that are starting to bloom. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. Bill, the gentlemen I bought the nuc from reminded me that they were my workforce, but I was the healthcare provider. I did not see the queen when I transferred the Nuc to the Brood box, but then again it was my first time and I was perhaps a bit excited.

Since I am at the very beginning I imagine I will be back with lots of questions as I continue to learn.
I will try and update with pictures later.

Cheers,
Keith

2 Likes

I would also add, only use the Flow super when the brood box is more than 80% full of food or brood, with all frames having fully drawn comb, and every frame is covered with bees. You may want to use 2 brood boxes, as we have long nectar dearths in SoCal. I would join a local bee club, and ask what they do.

2 Likes