Continuing the discussion from Todays lesson: What not to do & what a normal bee sting reaction looks like:
I had for many years an allergy to mushrooms that is what people who are severely allergic to bee stings experience.
Firstly I suggest that as a responsible bee keeper you obtain from your doctor and keep handy an Epi Pen.
The likelihood of someone who is allergic to bees, but doesn’t know it, being stung by one of your bees may be low, but it exists. Administration of epinephrine via an epi pen can reduce what is easily a life threatening situation into a manageable medical emergency.
I also believe keeping a standard antihistamine such as Benedryl close at hand is a good preventative measure. It can reduce the normal reaction to a sting and help with a more sever reaction as well. Cheap insurance.
Far better to have the pen and never need it than visaversa.
If you or someone else is stung by the bees the symptoms that can indicate a serious reaction beginning are a collection of reactions.
a sudden dry itchy feeling in the mouth
a sense of sinuses being clogged and breathing becoming an effort
hot and cold flushes over the body
swallowing feeling weird
a shocky feeling; feeling lightheaded, heart pounding, pins and needles in extremities. nausea, faintness
random itchiness, not just at the site of the sting
If any of these symptoms begin to appear call 911.
There is no way to tell for someone having their first reaction to a bee sting how rapidly it may progress or to what stage. Better safe than sorry.
In a remote area, in the absence of an epipen, I would administer antihistamines orally and topically and proceed to the nearest medical facility. An emergency room is best, but a firehouse with paramedics will be able to administer the shot as well.
The odds of any one of us having a problem with an Anaphylatic reaction is small, but it exists and is worth preparing for.